Beach replenishment in Florida..

MACKS

While on vacation checked out this operation down the beach,all the sand is trucked in,no dredging allowed down here,talked to the foreman about the trucks,mostly all on hire,they run about 20 to 21.5 tons a load,pay is 50 to 56 an hour,how the he'll do u run a truck for those rates,all good looking equipment some pretty new to.

• 1 month later...

a couple items here

1) we can run year round...this way we can budget our monies easier than trying to get as much as we can in 8 months

2) did you talk to the drivers?...no speaka de englis

3) yes, some are fairly new, but many are in need of service

4) the rate they get vs the brokers rate...

right now, I have been in and out of the pit they are hauling out of. two loaders to keep them running..the fun is at the scale house

What beach was you at?

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

I was at Hollywood beach,couldn't talk to any drivers,the trucks looked like they were in nice shape,all tri axle with 16 foot body's by 6 foot high,foreman said they were running twenty ton loads,he also sad a lot f them run double shifts,it was like a parade of trucks on south surf road all day long..

• Like 1

oh, that was farther south from me.

Eastman is a large hauler around here. he has his own plus brokers out alot

yep, 20-22 tons normal..tri-axles can go to 70k legal...if you have steel or aluminum box makes a difference

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2018 at 4:19 PM, hatcity said:

a couple items here

1) we can run year round...this way we can budget our monies easier than trying to get as much as we can in 8 months

2) did you talk to the drivers?...no speaka de englis

3) yes, some are fairly new, but many are in need of service

4) the rate they get vs the brokers rate...

right now, I have been in and out of the pit they are hauling out of. two loaders to keep them running..the fun is at the scale house

What beach was you at?

i don't care if your running 13 months a year 50 bucks an hour isn't enough, i imagine a tri axle isn't quite as expensive to run as a tractor trailer but even being generous on on operating cost difference driver makes what 10 bucks an hour owner makes 5? id go flip burgers before i ran my truck that cheap. 

• 4 hours ago, Ezrider said:

i don't care if your running 13 months a year 50 bucks an hour isn't enough, i imagine a tri axle isn't quite as expensive to run as a tractor trailer but even being generous on on operating cost difference driver makes what 10 bucks an hour owner makes 5? id go flip burgers before i ran my truck that cheap. 

most were probably owner/operators

• I know of a company in need of drivers-tri-axle=$10/hr, trailer=$12

• I don't care that you have new trucks

• I make more driving a tandem

• But yes, the overall rate is not good

1 hour ago, Maxidyne said:

It'd help the rates if Florida got some of those cobbled together dump trucks off the road... There's an outfit around Naples that take old KW anteaters, puts on super singles on the front and a pusher axle so they look like a dump truck, then loads them to at least the legal limit of 73,280 on a chassis only designed for 46,000 pounds!

I didn't see any trucks like that where we were,all looked like factory dumps,Fords,KW t-800,and Macks,a lot of them fairly new,must be more to it than meets the eye,operating cost are not all that different than any where else except for labor..

4 hours ago, Maxidyne said:

It'd help the rates if Florida got some of those cobbled together dump trucks off the road... There's an outfit around Naples that take old KW anteaters, puts on super singles on the front and a pusher axle so they look like a dump truck, then loads them to at least the legal limit of 73,280 on a chassis only designed for 46,000 pounds!

was a time that they were cutting frame, throw a piece of channel in between to stretch, dump body...good for the road.

many were seen buckled in half on the road

• 8 months later...