Monson Logistics add two new Stralis and a Powerstar to growing IVECO fleet

kscarbel2

IVECO Trucks Australia  /  November 9, 2017

Leading Tasmanian freight company Monson Logistics, has invested in three new Australian-made Stralis and Powerstar models, bringing the total number of IVECOs in the company to 32.

The latest acquisitions, a Powerstar 6400 and two Series II Stralis AS-L prime movers operate in B-Double applications hauling containerised freight and plantation-sourced, pre-packaged timber all over Tasmania and to port in preparation for shipment to the mainland.

The new vehicles all feature IVECO 13 litre Cursor engines producing 560 hp and 2300 Nm of torque and are teamed to 16-speed Eurotronic II automated manual transmissions.

Monson Logistics Maintenance Manager, Heath Calvert, said the first of the company’s Stralis models were purchased around 12 years ago and have delivered excellent service, now showing up to 1.3 million kilometres.

“We’ve got around five of the earlier Stralis models that have done well over a million kilometres, for the most part they’ve worked hard, usually operating at 68 tonnes all over the state – the conditions are demanding with a lot of undulating roads,” Heath said.

“It might be a small state but our drivers are still covering around 900 kilometres per day.

“The Cursor engine and AMT combination is very serviceable, it’s a combination that has worked well for us – the IVECOs make up 32 of our 34 trucks on fleet and most have this specification.”

For town work, Monson Logistics opt for Stralis ATi variants at 460 hp along with 500hp Stralis AD models.

“We try and closely tailor the specification of the trucks to the application, and for localised town work the ATi is a good choice. It still has plenty of power for single trailer work but is also smaller and more manoeuvrable on the city streets,” Heath said.  

According to Heath, fleet downtime is kept to a minimum thanks to IVECO’s long service intervals, but as a back-up the company keeps a spare prime mover at each depot just in case it’s required.

“The IVECO’s have 80,000 kilometre service intervals and we can even go longer if we need to,” he said.

“Having said this, we also participate in Trucksafe Accreditation which sees the trucks being checked over every 20,000 kilometres for safety defects.

“We also have additional trucks available that are not used on a regular basis – for the little money you get when selling a 10-year-old truck, you may as well hang on to them.”

Aside from their low cost of ownership and reliability, Heath said the trucks are well regarded by the drivers, especially for their roominess and comfort.

“We have a couple of other brand trucks on fleet that were inherited from business acquisitions, from time to time drivers of the IVECOs might have to use them but they’re always very happy to get back into their Stralis or Powerstar,” he said.

“Overall the IVECOs have been great, we’ve had a fantastic run out of them and we’ve been very well supported by the selling Dealer Adtrans Truck Centre in Melbourne as well as WB Truck ‘n’ Trailer, Denny Mechanical and C&I Transport in Tasmania where we get our servicing done.

“We’re running a business and the IVECOs look smart on the road, are very serviceable and provide good value – we’ve positively referred the brand to other local transport companies.”

Having enjoyed organic growth for the last several years, Heath said business for Monson Logistics has been good, with the company’s staff now numbering 65.

“As Monson Logistics continues to expand, we will have no hesitation in looking to IVECO to supply us with additional vehicles,” he said.

image 4.jpg

image 2.jpg

image 1.jpg

image 3.jpg

10 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

My friend, the bonneted Powerstar "conventional" is a superb truck.

Now they've finally got the "Cursor" engines' reliability  issues sorted & an industry leading warranty, they Might actually get the sales they deserve!!

They just have to stop being so immensely "Proud" with their Spare parts pricing!! & a little less Italian Arrogance wouldn't hurt either..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

6 hours ago, Hayseed said:

Now they've finally got the "Cursor" engines' reliability  issues sorted & an industry leading warranty, they Might actually get the sales they deserve!!

They just have to stop being so immensely "Proud" with their Spare parts pricing!! & a little less Italian Arrogance wouldn't hurt either..

I myself have never met an arrogant person at IVECO, and I know a great many of their engineers and global sales people. They're generally very laid back versus the Germans, French and Swedes. They're passionately serious about the truck business, but friendly as can be.

The Cursor 10 didn't cool well but the Cursor 11 is great. I agree they have a superb engine line-up today.

Everything is Oz is expensive. The US market $1000 Sony flatscreen cost twice that in Oz. The out-of-control cost of living in Oz really disturbs me, and the government never wants to talk about it.

Volvo is one of the worst on parts pricing. They love their "margins".

But that said, US car dealers many years ago started charging walk-in customers "List plus a percentage", and I thought that was disgustingly greedy. Finally, the truck dealers started doing that as well. And then you have Volvo, who charges $15 for an AC belt that the former Mack Trucks only charged $4.80 for to the non-fleet individual walk-in customer. Gates didn't raise their price two-fold.....it's Volvo's application of their global market stick-it-to-you parts pricing policy. I myself don't believe it suits the US market.

I disturbed Volvo one time when I asked why a plain steel bumper for an FM cost US$2000 while a standard Mack R-model bumper (24QL4284P5) was under $300 (B-price level, the non-fleet individual walk-in customer).

Well you certainly Can't beat Penske for arrogance!

The sales Figures for Western Star Here in Australia since they've taken over the Distribution rights from Transpacific are living Proof..!!

don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

9 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

I myself have never met an arrogant person at IVECO, and I know a great many of their engineers and global sales people. They're generally very laid back versus the Germans, French and Swedes. They're passionately serious about the truck business, but friendly as can be.

Lets just say that We Move in; Entirely different Social circles. 

I'm good friends with the dealer Principle of an IVECO dealership (in  fact He's a Full line CNH Dealership) & He would beg to differ..

don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -