clutch brake question

Hook n ladder 1

I put a new clutch brake in.  Didn't work very well.  Did adjust the clutch.  Went from about a half inch free play to 2 inches. First adjustment in 2 years.   The clutch brake still not working that well.  Should I adjust the clutch more?  I didn't think you wanted more than 2 inches of free play on the clutch pedal.

Its an eaton/fuller 10 speed in a Ch613

Thanks.

Start over and start with adjusting the clutch brake to one inch and thats done with the linkage.Then set the pressure plate to were you have maybe one and a half of free play.Now you have two inchs of brake and if you have any free play at the top that means your clutch is not getting enough release travel to stop the disc from turning and the clutch brake will only burn up if the clutch is not releasing.The brake is not what releases the disc but will stop the from turning after they are released. Do your self a favor and forget what you now under stand and what your going to heard on the radio and try this.If it dont work you still dont owe any one.

glenn akers

Yup Glenn is correct ! With the exception of VOLVO OR anything else with A Hydraulic  operated clutch! If there anyone else Think Freightliner might use that crap too ?  Everything with a linkage or a cable will require that you adjust the linkage to Get the clutch brake set correctly FIRST Then set the inside to your desired height of engagement with the internal ring!

Saw a youtube vid.... half boy/half monkey. Probably the same guy.

Some would argue grease has positive affect......don't give more than "A" pump. 

I'm one of those guys ! Grease will not hurt it ! I install the aluminum style brake WITH grease Just so the drivers can't wreck them as fast! set the brake RIGHT on the floor so they have to dig for it  Half/ 3/4  inch off the floor max. Agree or disagree ! This has work ed in my favor for he last 30 years ! I Ain't Changin Now !  If it ain't broke Don't Fix it! :rolleyes:

If I make an attempt to adjust the linkage what exactly am I doing?  How do I do it?

example western star ! If you shorten the link at the fire wall  you will get more brake lengthen you take away! Set this first it never changes except for wear of the brake its self!  On Our Macks you have five places to choose from  the cable ends  ,the cable sheath both ends or the proper one on the trans arm its self if its not seized !    Then wind the ring inside to Get the 1 1/2 free pedal OR  = 1/2 inch  gap between the clutch brake and the throw out bearing! On MOST Vehicles! It comes down to how you like it set after that  I personally like the clutch to start engaging approx half way up So the 1/2 inch  gap  = 1 1/2 free pedal  ,  May be a A little less than 1/2 inch at the bearing  and more like 2 inch at the pedal for my liking !

Edited by fjh
  • Like 2

I think the question is if a clutch brake works without grease applied..........

"the guy said the clutch brake will not work if the clutch is not greased.  Is that true?".

It will traction without, but smearing a squirt onto it during install is a fine practice, especially with a non-compressible two piece or split. An chronically ungreased throw-out is going to lead to bigger issues than just a dry clutch brake.