1958 B61 Spring Removal

Hey all.  Just wanted to give everyone an update on what all I am doing this summer.  I found out the kingpins are bad on my 58' B model so I took the front end apart.  The only issue I currently have is that the tie rod is slightly bent on one end.  However, I think it is reusable if I cannot find one.  Here's the vendors I used for parts:

D & D Automobilia - They are recasting my steering wheel.  Great to work with.  Their attention to detail is amazing.
rareparts.com - Rebuilding/Finding Replacements for my Tie Rods.
Hust Brothers - Brake Shoe Relining
Greensburg Machine - Spring Rebuild/King Pin Installation (Local Company)
Watt's For Everything In-between
NAPA - NCP 2621571 - King Pins (Have to research this for an FA505)

Okay so my question is has anyone removed the pins out of the springs?  I see there is a bolt that retains the pins.  Any tips or tricks on how to get them out of there?  The FA505 axle will be removed before I attempt to remove the springs.  As always, I appreciate everyone's input.

Edited by 58GreenMackB
  • Like 1

Center pins aren't too big of deal.  Just a piece of threaded rod with a large head to align in the axle hole.  If you can't get it loose, then cut the nut off and the springs will fall apart.  The replacement bolt will be long and you cut off the extra.  The front springs should have clamps holding them together.  A few years I pulled my left side out because the clamps had blown apart and the leafs were separating.   I had the two top leafs remade and put back together and clamps rebuilt.

I was really surprised how easy the spring came out of the truck.  The rear pin came out with marginal fuss and the front clamp came apart without breaking any bolts.  That assembled spring pack is HEAVY!!!!

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

The actual tie rod end is bent?

tie_rod_end-bg.jpg

Or the center tube?  

If the tie rod is bent, I would look at getting a replacement end.  Depending on how bent, if you straighten it, there is a possibility of it breaking at some point.  I suppose if you warm it up first it could be straightened, but there is the chance it could fracture and break at some later day.  Just something to think about.

• Like 2

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"