black soot

mack88

Over fuel.  

Does it roll black smoke when you get on it?

Well those heavy exhaust particle cling to the inside of the exhaust and then when you shut down the pipe condensates and causes the particle to stick more than they cool and dry out becoming lighter and then when you start up it forces all the dry flakes out the pipe and all over your truck.

could be pump is turned up, puff limiter not working properly or because it's 30 years old

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Don't think its turned up puff limiter was unhooked when i bought it hooked it up but not sure if its working yes it dos smoke when you step on it it is 30 years old with 1.3 kms. truck is all origanal pretty mitty truck

The puff limiter is a two part system the air valve on the intake and a piston on the end of the pump more than likely the piston on the pump is not working or shim properly.  

I hooked mine up with new valve and piston but the old piston had no shims.  When I replaced the air valve it would never Rev up, like it took half the power away.  So put the old valve back on and was going to order shims but never got around to it and put the new parts on

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Freightrain said:

^^Yup, looks like my garage ceiling.  Only my pipes are like 6" away from the ceiling so it is really sooty.  I get rained on with pellets of soot when I crank mine up.

I turned the nuts on the rack 3 more flats and it made a big difference.