E7-427 Failed Engine

ivanuke

Hello guys, I purchased a 1999 CH613 E7-427 from an auction for a decent price, The engine looks to have had some kind of mechanical failure. Im not a diesel mechanic and I just barely started to learn about trucks late last year, so I am hoping someone here can point me in the right direction as to what might have caused this engine failure?

It looks like someone cut off the exhaust pipe and took the turbo and the exhaust manifold, so I will be ordering those parts soon. Also the engine turns over when I apply power to the starter.  Thanks for your help!

WB9yzyy.jpg TSP6USS.jpgX0jp4UN.jpg

I think you have a few parts missing. good chance the cam may be damaged as the unit pumps ride on it. Drop the pan and check out the bottom end before you order any parts, you may need a new engine.

• Like 2

Live every day like it's your last, because one of these days, it will be.

Thanks for the advice! I don't mind rebuilding the engine if its possible or getting a reman. I purchased the truck for 5500! Very good condition for its age, the motor is the only thing thats bad! I will look into this possible cam failure.

• 1 month later...

Hello guys, I finally got around to doing some more research as to what happened to my engine. The roller sleeve looks to have broken off from its base, and the bottom half is stuck inside the bore. The bore looks to be slightly damaged, I can run my finger down the bore and feel the damage, its slightly scratched near where the break happened, im sure a new sleeve can slide in and out with ease. Is this repairable or do I need another cylinder block? Below is a picture of where the roller sleeve broke.

jNl2E9G.png Qnl5cuIl.jpg

Edited by ivanuke
spelling

If the Mercedes uses the same Bosch unit pump as the Mack then I don't see much block showing in the bore. The moving part of the unit pump has a oil hole in it that I built a puller to get out. W.W. Williams gave up on one of our Mercedes OM 460's so I had to take care of it. Did this unit pump eat the roller?

Edited by nwfs600

16 minutes ago, nwfs600 said:

If the Mercedes uses the same Bosch unit pump as the Mack then I don't see much block showing in the bore. The moving part of the unit pump has a oil hole in it that I built a puller to get out. W.W. Williams gave up on one of our Mercedes OM 460's so I had to take care of it. Did this unit pump eat the roller?

Im not sure if I understand the not "much block showing in the bore statement". Can you please elaborate? Im not exactly sure of how it failed. But I do know I have the bottom piece of the roller sleeve just wiggling around in the bore, I cant pull it out even with a powerful magnet. 

Edited by ivanuke