E9 Piston Install

fjh

Guys, I am rebuilding an E9 and the manual claims there is an arrow on the piston indicating front, the new pistons have nothing other than a Mack logo stamped in them on one side ! Is there a front and back or has this become  irrelevant  As the bowl is central ? The old pistons were the same how ever I neglected to pay attention when I disassembled where the logo faced! if it even maters !?? Any comments welcome!

I will look tomorrow as to where the piston logo is on the E9 I have that has a head off. It does matter which way the pistons are installed as some engines have offset wrist pins. Reading the manual it sure sounds like it is the case with an E9. Normally the Logo is on the TOP or furthest to the intake side of the bore and readable, not upside down. This would be for both sides of the engine.

Thanks

The logo on these pistons  are at  ( appox )  the  3:30 position One would think that would indicate front if it means anything at all!

It's been years since I've built V8. This is A PAI engine kit, Real nice looking kit! The engine packed up #1 rod bearing caught it just in time the rod journal got away with just a polish!

• Like 1

This is nothing to do with a mack engine but back when i was still working i remenber cat having piston problems on some C12 Engines.They were breaking the skirts and then blowing a hole in the block.What the problem was is the crowns had their wrist pin bore off set a small bit causing the crown to slap in the skirt.So the cat rep told us you will never see a off set bore for the wrist pin in a two piece piston and i believe that. 

glenn akers

On October 6, 2016 at 2:23 PM, Back In Black Pulling said:

Logo goes front in all mine

I did not get back from a 360 mile scotter ride with 9 of my Social Club buddy's (DOBBER's) yesterday until after dark. Good ride, good drink, good food, Great Buds what could be better? The weather was perfect Sunny 60-80 degrees, cooler in the mountains, not like in Florida lately.

I did look at the E9 piston and the Logo  goes to the front of the engine. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the replys men To the front it will be then Don't see as it matters how ever I would feel more at eezz having the logo to the missing arrow direction  just cause. the PAI dudes teck Guy said it didn't matter but it will look like I was paying attention if they are all one direction and not all over the place!

• Like 1