Maxi Brake stuck on one wheel - need mechanic Harrisburg PA!?

b615rich

Moving from NY to PA so have to find new local mechanic. My need ended up being sooner than I thought. Drove 4 hours down two weeks ago - truck ran and drove great!  Getting ready for Trucktoberfest this week I realized one maxi is stuck on.  Caged the spring, slack adjuster seemed to move fine.  Even backed the adjuster off a little, very little travel available as brakes are almost brand new.  Tried hitting shoes but think they might be stuck on the drums or for some other reason are not pulling back together (springs are new and look fine). I don't the cam is spun because there is so much lining left.   I am working in a hotel lot with only basic tools til I move so I'm thinking the next step is road service.  Anyone know anyone good near Harrisburg PA or have any ideas?  I saw a place called "Triple K"?  

if you have someone to step on the brake pedal while you watch` provided you have the wheels safely chocked ` can you see if the s cam is moving at all ` if not then you need to get a pipe wrench or large channel lock pliers on the s cam its self and twist it loose could be just lack of grease not letting it turn.  is this an older vehicle ? tell me what it is

It's a 1959 B but the rear is from a 70's? Eaton rears on Reyco.   I can't see the cam itself but it seems to have been greased when they did the brakes.  When you say turn the S cam where would you grip it?  Would the slack adjuster still move if the cam were stuck?   

to some extent it would move . between the slack adjuster and where it goes into the wheel assm. you would try to turn it oposite  direction from which the push rod from brake canister pushes it  its possible that the slack adjuster is bad and has slipped

Edited by carlotpilot

It seems to move pretty freely.  When you apply the service brakes it moves all the way forward but shoes don't seem to react.  When you release and back off the adjuster it will get almost all the way to the can (maybe an inch to one and a half away from the can.  There is nothing showing on the cam, it is in a housing from the adjuster to where the housing mounts to the backer plate (I made that term up but using car breake term - not really a plate but a flange on the end of the axle).  Probably need the wheels off and to bang on the drum or heat or?  Tried hitting the drum rim and the brake shoes but probably not the right angle.     Not sure I want to take the adjuster off. Very limited tools here. :( . Usually I regret not having a garage to work in, but now just miss tools and own space 

Can't get a wack at it with a BFH you can VERY carefully try rocking the truck back and forth a small bit but not enough the break parts. Did that with my R model once when it laid at Orient Point for a few weeks after Sandy.     Paul

Edited by 41chevy
  • Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

It seems to move pretty freely.  When you apply the service brakes it moves all the way forward but shoes don't seem to react.  When you release and back off the adjuster it will get almost all the way to the can (maybe an inch to one and a half away from the can.  There is nothing showing on the cam, it is in a housing from the adjuster to where the housing mounts to the backer plate (I made that term up but using car breake term - not really a plate but a flange on the end of the axle).  Probably need the wheels off and to bang on the drum or heat or?  Tried hitting the drum rim and the brake shoes but probably not the right angle.     Not sure I want to take the adjuster off. Very limited tools here. :( . Usually I regret not having a garage to work in, but now just miss tools and own space 

It only sat for a week.  Tried a medium sized hammer but need to get the rims off the hit the side. Not sure wailing on the open  rim of the drum is a great idea.   Odd it would stick so fast and no salt on the roads. Was pouring when I pulled into town though. 

On 9/12/2016 at 8:30 PM, b615rich said:

41Chevy - I tried rocking it but no luck. Really worry about breaking something, I guess it is never to late to be smart for a change. Found a few local guys to try will call tomorrow.   Did you make it to Trucktoberfest?  

Never got there, I forgot about it totally with sorting and itemizing my AC parts.   Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

• 2 weeks later...

guy came out and I thought would have to take off the wheel and heat or hammer. Instead they he sprayed pb blaster into the drum shoes all over. He waited awhile then hammered them til they were free. i pulled in in a really heavy downpour. Maybe shoulda rode the brakes a little thanks guys.