Pump cooler

muncieman

My truck has a 1000 gallon waterous pump and last week one of the Pump cooler lines developed a leak about in the middle of the line. I tried to remove it today but it was corroded so badly that it broke off up at the union joint right at the cooler. It's not threaded into that part so my question is what am I looking at as far as fixing it. I can see it has 2 pieces and I'm guessing there is a small coil inside it. Anyone know if there is a repair kit for it. Any help would be good. Thanks..

A photo would help.   Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

The cooler is actually for the engine, not the pump. It's purpose was to circulate cooler pump water through a heat exchanger to transfer heat from the engine to the pump water. Most folks with antique rigs block them off and make sure they are drained as they are a very common item to freeze and split.

As long as you can block off the pipe as it comes out of the pump you will be fine to leave the heat exchanger as it is.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Thanks for the info.  I took it apart tonight and found a copper coil inside with press fit fittings. I replaced the hoses and gasket to it and did like you said blocked it off. My local plumber said it was to keep the Pump from freezing in the winter.