Rear main seal

keg1

The number on the invoice is 446GC00310P1. The number on the seal is 446GC3118. The number on my old seal is 446GC238. This is a picture of the new seal and what looks like a plastic wear ring. I've never put one of these in before and I only want to do it once so I want to make sure I have the right part.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by keg1

Okay, your wife was given a [meaningless Volvo Group global part number] 20705740 teflon rear main seal, which is the same as the old "Mack" part number 446GC310P10. (That plastic band is not a wear band).

But it sounds like you'd rather have a 57GC186A.

On 7/10/2016 at 6:23 AM, kscarbel2 said:

Okay, your wife was given a [meaningless Volvo Group global part number] 20705740 teflon rear main seal, which is the same as the old "Mack" part number 446GC310P10. (That plastic band is not a wear band).

But it sounds like you'd rather have a 57GC186A.

What is the difference between the 57GC186A and a 57GC186B?

13 minutes ago, Back In Black Pulling said:

I believe the plastic band is to install the seal so you don't rip it . should push threw when you push over crank. One of the e9 seals comes with that in.

Makes sense I wasn't sure what it was. Never replaced one before so just checking. The old one has a wear ring so that's what I would like to put back in it. It doesn't have the original engine so vin number does parts guys no good.

6 minutes ago, keg1 said:

What is the difference between the 57GC186A and a 57GC186B?

In the world of the former Mack Trucks, with a part numbering system never equaled, a suffix letter like "A" or "B" denotes an engineering improvement. It used to be "A" for years.

Under Volvo, "B" might mean they made it "cheaper", though your price still went up.

I dont know if the rear is the same as the front but the front i replaced with the new type seal on an e7 and mack has you install it a little bit farther in to ride on a new surface on your crank and the little plastic ring is only to be remove from seal when your putting it in its to keep the seal from deforming. There might be a bulletin on the rear main seal I dont know there was for the front.