Engine Switch

jake

I found a good running 673 out of a B 53 that is going to replace the 711 in my B 61. Will the intake manifolds and oil cooler off the 711 work on the 673? Also the 673 has a rotary injector pump. Would there be any advantage in using my American Bosch off the 711? Would it work? :blink:

The intake and oil cooler will bolt up but there is something else you need to check. Tell me what knind of oil filter is on the 673. That will tell me if the oil filter is full flow or a by/pass filter. If it is a by pass then you ant got no oil to cool. The way to tell what filter is look at the bottom of the filter and a full flow will have 2 big oil lines and 1 small line to the engine. The by/pass will have 2 small oil lines and it is better known as a 500 luberfiner. And on the fuel pump by all means use the APE and throw the rotarty pump away or keep because some one will need it for parts. The two blocks can be both full flow filtering system but the 673 made a change i think in about 59 or 60 to the full flow oil filter. That means all of the oil that the pump pumps to the engine goes direct to the 4 bolt pad on the left side were the oil lines comes out and on a full flow all of the oil comes out there and goes to the filter and back in the 4 bolt block and then to the brgs.The by/pass system will have a 4 bolt block on the left side but oil only comes to that and goes on to the brgs unfilterd but has a small oil line coming out to a parial/flow/bypas filter.that engine will also have a large round pan that can be removed on the bottom of the oil pan under the oil pump pick up tube and it has a screen that needs cleaned when you change your oil.glenn

glenn akers

Interesting Glenn.

I know my 673 has the three lines off the bottom, plus it does have the round plate(6"?) on the bottom of the sump. Never had it off, don't look like it's EVER been off. Has always carried good oil pressure, but does take probably 5-8 seconds to get oil pressure when sitting for a week. I've tried to "bleed" the filter housing, but that's never helped.

After 50 yrs...I suppose can't get much worse if it's never been touched? Heaven knows I run it up on the gov'nr all day long for the last 7 yrs.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Interesting Glenn.

I know my 673 has the three lines off the bottom, plus it does have the round plate(6"?) on the bottom of the sump. Never had it off, don't look like it's EVER been off. Has always carried good oil pressure, but does take probably 5-8 seconds to get oil pressure when sitting for a week. I've tried to "bleed" the filter housing, but that's never helped. I need to check the part number on the filter I use...as I've always wondered if it was actually the right one? There again...never had issues with it.

After 50 yrs...I suppose can't get much worse if it's never been touched? Heaven knows I run it up on the gov'nr all day long for the last 7 yrs.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Thanks for the reply Glenn. I will check on monday to see which filter it has. The B 53 is a 64 model I think so it may be the later one. Also do I have to change anything in the APE pump to use it on the 673?
I would change the injectors and lines and screw the rack screw in about 1 1/2 turns because the 673 dont need that much fuel and as for as the pump drive i dont know if you will have to change it. When you get the pumps off then you can look and tell. If you change the drive then you will need to pull front cover to do that. glenn

glenn akers

Interesting Glenn.

I know my 673 has the three lines off the bottom, plus it does have the round plate(6"?) on the bottom of the sump. Never had it off, don't look like it's EVER been off. Has always carried good oil pressure, but does take probably 5-8 seconds to get oil pressure when sitting for a week. I've tried to "bleed" the filter housing, but that's never helped.

That pan was used in most cases with the older engine but it will not hurt yours i dont know if the dip stick would still be correct. That ant out of line for the oil pressure to take a while to build up.

glenn akers

glenn, My 673 has the three oil lines just like my 711. The oil cooler should work. The 673 runs very well but I think I would rather use the APE pump. I will let you know Steve if I dont need the rotery pump. jake

Then your ok then but let me say and i did not remenber what happen to your 711 but if it had a brg failure then dont use that core from that oil cooler because it will have metal in it and hurt your engine but if the 673 has a full flow oil filter on it then it should have had a oil cooler on it already.

glenn akers

glenn, My 711 ran good but it leaked antifreeze in the oil. Ithought it was head gaskets but when I tore it down I found some small cracks above the cam shaft and behind the valve lifter above #2 main. Sitting over winter it would leak about a pint in the oil. I would always drain it off at the oil plug before I would run it but what a pain. Between my son and myself we got 4 1/2 B53 s.( one is cut off right behind the cab.) All have 673 s. None have oil coolers. Three have turbos. All have the starters on the top left side. Two are BCRs with B53 serial number plates. The engine from the 1/2 truck is going in my B61. jake