Got an unwanted surprise today

I bought a camel back cutoff a while back go around to working on it today and found a crack in the front axle housing. They must have tried welding it up with the carrier still on it there was the typical bubba booger three pass weld on the top no penetration just sat on the top lots of porosity. The crack extends half way down both sides they never attempted to weld that which tells me it wasn't there at the time they welded the top up. Its all accessable now so looks like a lot of grinding and prep work tomorrow.

I bought the thing without the carriers because I already had a set here so he had to know the thing was cracked when he took them off then I spent the next hour breaking up and vacuuming  all the dirt out of the trunnion stand. I can see how those trunnion stands rust so bad its a design flaw to leave them open the way they are they fill up with dirt and crap rusting them from the inside out I checked these they are still solid.

• 2 weeks later...