711 Or 673?

JMK

jmk

:WELCOME:

:SMOKIE-LFT:

how can i tell if my truck has a 711 or 673 motor.i dont have a sierial #. can i tell by the chassy #?

I also need a snall box fuel tank for the left side, If anyone wants to sell one give me a hallar.

:SMOKIE-RT:

Someone here will know where to find the correct # on the block.

The 711 has a different accesory drive thru the fuel pump and compressor,

and will run a hydraulic power steering pump from the drive. I'm sure there is

a better way to tell than just that however.

The chassis VIN will only be good if the engine has never been changed.

You may not know that for sure.

As for fuel tanks, I have a set of box style tanks with integral steps and all

of the fittings intact, if you need.

They have been sandblasted and primed. They need a little attention to small

weep leaks before they are put into service. You can buy one or both cheap.

Send me a Personal Message on this site, if you are interested.

Paul Van Scott

The best way to tell is the model # on the block at the right front were the injection pump bolts to the block but at the top of that mounting pad the # will start out as a ENDxxx. Another way is look at the left side or driver side head bolts and if you find one on the end that is 3/4 which is larger than the reat then you have a 711 but the early one had the same bolts as a 673. And if it has a single inlet pipe to the intake manifold it will be a 673. The 711 will have a P manifold which is two inlets or two intake manifolds. another way is if it dont have 3 oil lines going to the bottom of the oil filter it is not a 711. Another way is if it dont have a oil cooler it will not be a 711. Another way is if it dont got a thermostat housing it ant a 711. glenn

glenn akers

• 2 weeks later...
The best way to tell is the model # on the block at the right front were the injection pump bolts to the block but at the top of that mounting pad the # will start out as a ENDxxx. Another way is look at the left side or driver side head bolts and if you find one on the end that is 3/4 which is larger than the reat then you have a 711 but the early one had the same bolts as a 673. And if it has a single inlet pipe to the intake manifold it will be a 673. The 711 will have a P manifold which is two inlets or two intake manifolds. another way is if it dont have 3 oil lines going to the bottom of the oil filter it is not a 711. Another way is if it dont have a oil cooler it will not be a 711. Another way is if it dont got a thermostat housing it ant a 711. glenn

From a recent experience I found out that if remove a head, the 711 had a 5" Bore, where as a 673 had a 4-7/8" bore. 711's also came with 18 and 20 head stud heads. The head gaskets are still available through Watts Mack. Of course that's if all else fails and your curiosity is that wild. haha

-220cummins

From a recent experience I found out that if remove a head, the 711 had a 5" Bore, where as a 673 had a 4-7/8" bore. 711's also came with 18 and 20 head stud heads. The head gaskets are still available through Watts Mack. Of course that's if all else fails and your curiosity is that wild. haha

-220cummins

And one 711 had a head that had two 3/4" corner bolts in each end of the head under the fuel return line from the injectors. glenn

glenn akers

JMK

LOOKS LIKE I HAVE A 711.

DOES THIS MEAN I CANT PUT A TURBO ON IT/

My '64 711 with the larger corner head studs has had a turbocharger on it since 66. I can't tell you if the engine has been rebuilt or not, but the turbo conversion was performed by a Mack dealer in Chicago due to head problems.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

• 2 weeks later...
You can put a turbo on it but tell me what are you going to do with this truck and i can tell you some more. Is it a toy truck or is it going to work and try to make some power?.

JMK

THE TRUCK IS A TOY AND GET'S RAN ABOUT ONCE A WEEK BUT WHEN IT IS RAN IT GET'S RAN HARD.IS THERE ANY WAY TO MAKE 280+ HP WITH THIS TRUCK

Since you have asked the question about putting a turbo on the 711. I believe Glenn and myself are asking what are you using your truck for? Is it going to be used for pulling a huge load, or be used for truck pulls, truck drag racing, or just be an occasional truck show? Turbo's are for making power. If you don't need enormous power, then a turbo is just another item for conversation and for future problems to arrive. I've got some cigars I can send you if you have money to lite them with.

mike :blink: