Orphaned Pup Followed Me Home:

The wires are disconnected on it so I don't have an idea at this point. It is a "Kysor" brand.

I plan to reuse the a/c compressor and brackets that are mouned on the engine and it could be over a year before I break into this truck to replace the roof skin.

Rob

The condensor fan motor is frozen solid as is the blower fan motor in the cabin. The wiring sets both get power when the switch is turned on. I also discovered the aluminum case is "ripped" open from something sharp, or very hard but could be repaired. The system has no refrigerant within, so the hardware is probably no good either.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got the title straightened out on this truck and it is my name, (Auto Affair Inc.). The truck was titled in California and "junked" in 1998 thanks to Californias' willingness to pay over and above salvage value to get older vehicles off of the road. It was salvaged on paper, but nothing ever done to the actual truck. It turns out this truck was a dedicated hazardous waste hauler, operating out of the Long Beach Naval Shipyard, that was closed during the first Base Re-alignment and Closing Commision (BRAC) findings, and the truck, without further work, was eliminated.

Dealing with the California DMV is nothing short of a pain in the ass. Absolutely no help at all except to state there was no way to reissue a title on a salvaged vehicle. It was good for parts only. That is basically the same thing that happens in Illinois when a "junk certificate" is issued on a vehicle. I know a couple of State Police investigators around here from their "visits" to the shop so I called one to ask some questions, (he very well knows about my old trucks) and was given a name and number to contact. After verification of what I was saying was true and correct, a form was produced allowing the state to issue a "bonded title" in my name. The precludes any claims against the title for 24 months after which there is no further recourse for any prior ownership. Kind of interesting in the process because this happens a lot with older cars and trucks pulled from a field that have sat for many years. There hardly is ever a title to be had.

I have not received my package back from the Mack musuem as of yet. The v.i.n. number of this truck ends with 001 and I'm wondering if this is the first RL797L truck produced, and how many in total were built? Getting a little interested in the history although this one will stay as built.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

how was it junked in CA in 98 but has Jack gray stickers on it. I thought Jack gray was a midwest trucking company ??

trent

I did an internet search on Jack Grey Trucking and they apparently are all over the USA based out of Gary, IN.

Inside the cab of this truck were loads of "D.O.D." passes for the shipyard, and other places, all in California.

Rob

• 3 weeks later...