2004 cx613 no am/fm radio

My am/fm radio stopped working. It is original, has no sound, no static, nothing. But it lights up and all buttons operate like normal just no sound. Swapped radio with another Mack cx613 and it works fine in the other truck. The radio from that truck does the same thing in this truck. I have inspected the harness and can't find anything wrong. Checked speaker connections. I think the problem might be the VECU. I am just not 100%. Are the speakers/radio controlled by the VECU? The other two cx613's are newer and I believe they are cxn's. Could I swap the VECU's with one of those trucks without any problems? Any help or advice will be much appreciated.

On your 2004 its just a plain jane radio. You should have a 12v ignition source, battery voltage and a ground with either 2 or 4 speakers depending on the configuration. The newer truck radios have diagnostic capabilities so they are connected in the vehicle data system (j1939 hi speed datalink and the slower 1587 dtatlink). The newer radios are VIN specific so swapping one of them to another chassis would create fault codes.

This is just a day cab. Is there an factor amp in a day cab? I don't think there is a amp wire going to my radio. This c x truck was built in 2004 but I believe it is considered a 2005. The other two c x n are day cab's also. One is a 2007 and the other is a 2008. All of them are pretty much identical inside and out. The reason I asked if the radio speaker was vecu controlled because I thought I traced the wires there. Unless I am getting confused on how the wires are labeled. Tomorrow I will try ohm testing to make sure.

With a bad antenna there should at least be static. I don't think diagnostic capabilities on the radios started until 2010 or so. All the year models you listed should have just pain ol everyday type radios. I would measure resistance of the speakers from the harness connector, they should be at least 4 ohms. Open or high resistance tells me bad speakers or damaged wire(s)

Check for a bad radio ground too. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

• 5 years later...