Battery for 1988 600 Series CF600

firetrucktours

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the forums. I just purchased at auction a 1988 Mack 600 Series CF600. I will post more about the engine soon, and photos.

My question tonight is what type of battery should I get? A 12 volt? Any recommended brands or ones to steer clear of?

I'm going to be getting the Mack soon.

Thank you and I look forward to being part of the Mack Fire Truck community here.

Kevin

NYC

Ex FDNY Engine turned foam pumper?

Two Group 8D or two Group 34 batteries should do you.

Deka and Interstate are both excellent batteries. Pay the extra money. Don't cheap out on batteries or tires. Ever.

And Brakes.

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Thank you. Yep. You know the apparatus. FDNY foam pumper retired this year. I'll check those batteries out.

Thanks again. You know I'll be back with more questions.

Don't expect to get anywhere fast. If I remember correctly they are geared for the city and governed at 47-50mph.

• Like 1

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

A new question about this truck. The data plate is blank for both maximum gross weight and max gross combination weight. Nothing is filled in except VIN and model. Would you know what the weight would be? I’m worried about licensing.

Again, thanks so much for helping this newbie.

I don't know the weight values you need. Someone may. I would write to the Mack Museum and send a donation and your VIN to them. Request the build documents for your truck and they will send you a nice book detailing the specifics of it as it was built. Good luck with it and keep us posted.

KEVIN: The original design of this truck was VASTLY CHANGED/ALTERED in-house by the FDNY Shops when they converted it to a Foam Pumper. The Museum's original weights when it rolled out of the factory WILL NOT BE THE SAME.

Wild guess: Somewhere in the neighborhood of 30-33,000lbs.

You really need to run it across a CAT Scale but that doesn't help you now. I will ask some facebook buddies if they know.

Fire trucks never have had weights posted. If you license it as antique you shouldn't have to worry about weight

Maybe not in the old days but since the inception of CDL's they are required to have the GVWR just like any commercial vehicle. In fact, it's a commercial vehicle until such time that it is delivered to the purchasing customer. Also, there are some states that require firefighters to have a CDL. Few and far between but they exist. The '58 FWD has the GVWR on the VIN plate on the door. In fact I cannot recall ever having seen a firetruck that doesnt have the GVWR somewhere.

Additionally, some states (like Pa) you are not required to have a CDL for a properly registered antique, but you do have to have the proper class endorsement on your non-CDL; therefore the GVWR should be known.