E-9 Build-up

MACKTRUCKS4

Does anyone know where to have a E-9 hopped up to big horsepower? There has to be someone out there that really knows how to crank out the "Big" ponies. I am thinking about building a puller out of a spare superliner I have and a spare E-9 I have.

Live every day like it's your last, because one of these days, it will be.

Does anyone know where to have a E-9 hopped up to big horsepower? There has to be someone out there that really knows how to crank out the "Big" ponies. I am thinking about building a puller out of a spare superliner I have and a spare E-9 I have.

Fuel and air my friend , fuel and air...

Which injection pump do you have? I can tell you how to hop up either one.... but be warned lots of power may equate to problems......

I'm sure that there are smarter people in here than me that will tell you all the ins and outs of increased hp.

Fuel and air, fuel and air.

turn the rpm's up a few hundred and crank the injection pump up should easily get close to 650 to 700 just by doing those 2 things alone.. If thats not enough then you will have to opt for a higher capacity turbo, then from their your be

balancing and blue printing your engine

cutting your pistons

enlarging your injectors

building custom intake and exhaust manifolds

custom built crankshaft

girdling your bottom end

getting a custom built steel flywheel and special high rpm "slipper" clutch

special built injection pump for 2000 to 3000 hp

maybe then a compuond turbo setup

oh yeah did I forget the water/methanol injection

all theory for me though all i've played with is an old Massey Ferguson 1100 tractor

I would start off bumping up the injection pump and a higher performance clutch.

If you have the Bosch V-pump it is very easy to turn up the R's and Fuel. If you have the Inline "Staight 8" pump it is a little more difficult.

If you have the money you can goto Antrim Diesel in Greencastle, PA and they can hook you up with all the high performance goodies.

I would find a good pump guy. We took our 237 pump and had them tune it to give max fuel flow and more RPMs. You will be very suprised what a stock pump will do when opend up all the way!!! Im not sure what a stock 237 gets for boost but ours was pushing 2x more (30lbs) after we had the pump turned all the way up. Throttel responce is like a blown chevy v8 LOL! I would think the stock E9 turbo would keep up with max fuel from a turned up stock pump. so try the pump first

If you want more fuel than the stock pump can push you will need to get diffrent barrels and misc pump internals. Thats when the big money is spent. Our inline pump cost us about $350 to be turned up all the way on a bench tester. After you go above stock pump work the turbo and injectors are next. the more fuel you inject the more air you will need to burn it.

I would start off bumping up the injection pump and a higher performance clutch.

If you have the Bosch V-pump it is very easy to turn up the R's and Fuel. If you have the Inline "Staight 8" pump it is a little more difficult.

If you have the money you can goto Antrim Diesel in Greencastle, PA and they can hook you up with all the high performance goodies.

What is the differences in an 85 V8 vs the final years they were produced? I am eyeing an 85 and just curious.

What is the differences in an 85 V8 vs the final years they were produced? I am eyeing an 85 and just curious.

85 is the first year they came out the 500 hp E9 V8. Basically the E9 is the same engine from the early 80's to the later 90's when Mack quit producing the V8.

The e9 v8 was made with 4 different horse power ratings: 400, 440, 450, 500 hp. The only difference is the timing, injection settings, and turbo

The inline pump is almost a must have. You can get so much more fuel than the V pump. And depending on how much u want to hop one up, we were told by a well known engine builder that what ever your RPM's are andvance the timing to that point. Exp. 3,000 rpm advance it to 30 degrees this is an excellent place to start. Our 6 cyl. turns 3600 with stock heads and cam we now have our timing at 46 degrees advanced. There are cases when u advance the timing you also gain more Rpms. If you really want to go nuts give Dale Francise a call @Francise Engineering in my book hes the Mack God. ~Joe

The inline pump is almost a must have. You can get so much more fuel than the V pump. And depending on how much u want to hop one up, we were told by a well known engine builder that what ever your RPM's are andvance the timing to that point. Exp. 3,000 rpm advance it to 30 degrees this is an excellent place to start. Our 6 cyl. turns 3600 with stock heads and cam we now have our timing at 46 degrees advanced. There are cases when u advance the timing you also gain more Rpms. If you really want to go nuts give Dale Francise a call @Francise Engineering in my book hes the Mack God. ~Joe

Where is Dale Francisse located or contact info for him?

Francis Engineering is located at 14233 Painesville Warren Rd. Painesville,OH.44077 phone number is (440)254-4046. Dale is the man behind the KILLER Mack. He builds all his own stuff including the motor. He has also been helping the Buckeye Bulldog also from Painesville. If you dont about the KILLER mack you can see tons of videos on the you tube, there is a couple videos on my space under Francise Engineering. If you love Macks and trucks pulling as much as I do you cant get away from the computer. ~Joe

OK, now what trans works best? what about rears? size? and what about lockers? Do they even make a locker for Mack? what suspension? double frame? Also custom crankshaft? or is that custom CAMSHAFT? that I've heard of but not a custom crankshaft. What is a slipper clutch? :wacko::wacko::wacko: I can see the black smoke already!!!!!!

Live every day like it's your last, because one of these days, it will be.

Hi there mate i hav just totaly rebuilt a E9 500 u can get about 900-1000hp out of them at a cost a but they are like a time boom when you hav them at the limt like that a do you hav any parts for a superliner or no where there are any...

Hope to hear from you soon

Check out my truck on my gallery

Gavin Shaw

Gav's Superliner

First you take 4 inches of solid plate copy the oil pan and then cut out the big holes so the crank can swing through there. This is to hold the bottom of the block together. Macks are known for weak lower ends. I highly recomend this for high horsepower and high Rpm's.

We use 4:17 with the power divider(which doesnt always stay locked)! Im gonna try welding the spider gears together.

I think a 5 speed is best cause you dont have much gear selection anyway, if you start running those 12 and 18 speeds on those smaller gears(inside the trans.) they might start comin apart with alot of power.

Air ride is excellnt for pullin. block the back axle and pump the front axle to give u weight transfer for traction.

A custom crank would be big bucks, but most guys are destroking engines to get torque at high Rpm's... this is done by shaving pistons. as for the cam that would determine whats been done to the heads (cams are cheap).

Back to the suspension if its air ride try turning around the front alxe (swaping brackets) so the air backs are on the front side. this should sperad the wheel base to about 56 or so inches . (this is my next trick to try i think it'll work great for traction)

Have fun let me know what u come up with.~Joe