Power Option for Ford- A KSC question

Red Horse

Well KSC, here is a question for you. I, like a lot of people, are skeptical about Ford's decision to use the 6.7 Power Stroke as the sole diesel option for the new 750. Keep in mind this thing can have a 37,000 lb GVW plate and a 55,000 pd GCW rating!. I'm sure Ford is banking on their 250,000 mile warranty as proof of their confidence in this motor's ability but if I was a fleet manager, I would not be jumping at the chance to prove they are right.

So what option would they have for a 6 cylinder? - always Cummins. But thinking outside thebox, I know FPT has a sales office in Michigan. And as Ford is using the FPT engines in the Cargo, how viable would that be-for both companies. I can't imagine it would be that difficult to certify these motors for the US and as FPT is now spun off from FCA (true?) we should not have to worry about Sergio trying to block the deal should Ram decide at this point they want to expand into class 6/7.

Your thoughts?

The world is full of viable engine options. Though Ford is cooperating with FPT (Fiat Powertrain Technologies) at Ford-Otosan, a unique situation, that's irrelevant when speaking of the US market.

Offering a Fiat diesel in the F-650/750 would be a PR nightmare. Ford has always put on the face of the all-American truckmaker, offering Ford and other US brand engines (Most Americans don't know that the 6.7-liter Powerstroke was designed in Austria by AVL).

You have a genuine passion and interest in Ford Truck. I do as well.......overseas.

In the US, after Ford designed one of the most impressive heavy trucks in US history (HN80) and then sold it to the Germans, I don't lose any sleep over what Ford is doing here.

The new 2016 F-650/750 is physical proof that Ford (US) is no longer serious about the truck business.

post-16320-0-62924700-1441506468_thumb.j

Well Maddog, no argument about the 7.3. As for 6.0, 6.4, another story-best way to describe those two is "designed by committee" and between Ford and Navistar they couldn't agree on too many critical issues.

As for Ford diesels, don't think there were too many bad things about the Ford 6 cyl ag motors that replaced the 3208 in the mediums-their downfall was they were dirty I believe and it would have cost too much to clean them up.

Regarding 6.7, as KSC has educated us, designed by AVL of Austria and built by Ford in Mexico. Been out what- 4 or 5 years now? Saw a post somewhere recently about Ford techs still having plenty of 6.0/6.4 work but the 6.7's are not to be seen in the service bays with any regularity. Hope its true. JerDan wrecker dealer in my area seems to move a ton of 450/550's with lifts and there is a local Altec operation and in their yard, Fords in the 19,000 lb and under class outnumber everything else by a huge margin-mostly 6.7's-awaiting buckets.

Like I said, 6.7 at 33,000 to 37,000 gvw will be a make or break case and I can't believe they would be dumb enough to bet the farm on this motor as their sole diesel option if they had not tested to the max.