E9 HEADERS

rsb502

I need to talk to one of the guys that has the Francis headers, especially if oy got the smaller crossover pipe, pm me and I'll send you my phone #. For all the E9 guys, I hope to have a cheaper manifold replacement ready soon.

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Don't need spares need questions answered.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

• 1 month later...

I don't understand what headers will do better when installed on a stock engine. If this is about the supply of manifold parts being gone and the only solution is header I get it. I have two Hot E9's one at 1100 plus HP and the other 1250HP both have cast manifolds. Each has work done by Dale Francis and Steve Trivets but I do not see a need for headers even at over 3500 RPM nor did they for this power level. Headers look nice but for stock 1800-2000 RPM I think they would decrease power rather than make more with a stock engine. If I could get 50 plus HP or more I would consider a set. What am I missing?

Tubing comes in several wall thicknesses and can get pretty thick. Racing headers are normally on the thin side. Thicker would be better for longevity in a truck.

yea i only want to fix mine once. my manifolds are fine but the sections going from the manifolds to the turbo are shot. i started pricing stainless tubing and elbows. they are spendy but not to bad. especially when I compare it to the price of the francis headers. if I do make a set they will be log style manifolds

Edited by screwylouie010

I was thinking of log manifolds for one of my projects. I've had leaks as well but did not see what tube headers would do besides make a lot of under hood heat and have to be wrapped like Mack Doctor Jr said. Has anyone looked into square or rectangular tubing. If someone made up sets would there be interest in them and what would they be worth?

The gain in CFM's in the headers is really understandable but all the exhaust still has to go though that little approx 1 1/4 x 2 inch port into the turbo from each side of the engine. Gas velocity is low in the headers and has to accelerate in the crossover tubes and into the turbo. High velocity gas is what spins the turbo not volume.

Headers work by scavenging gasses out of the cylinder. This can not be done with back pressure from the other cylinders pushing back on the exiting gas as in a turbocharged E9 engine. Maybe at 4000 RPM's or more but there are just a handful of E9's spinning that at truck pulls.

I have raced and had headers on things for 35 years and still do. They don't work on anything until 4-5000 RPM's. I've went back to manifolds on several vehicles and picked up torque and hp at lower RPM's where normally used.

• Like 1