R Model Cab Removal

Gday everyone. This may seem a stupid question but in your experiences, what is the best way to remove and refit an R model cab? Would you use a large beam through the doors an sling the ends of it? Thanks for any help. Skip

You are correct Skip. Do not just place a sling through the door openings and hoist it up without a spreader bar. The roof and drip rails will buckle inward a bit from the weight if you do not use a spreader to keep the lifting force verticle.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Hi, I left doors shut an used a forklift with slippers through doors, the cab i am rebuilding doesnt even have a roof on it and it didnt move, the put it on a pallet.

pics in album.

Grant

Hi Grant, I have three R cabs in the shop that have been changed. All are bent in the roof skin/drip rails attributed to lifting with a sling from a single lifting point. All cabs were fully dressed, (complete) when they were done, (not by me) and I get to repair them which is relatively easy and pays well.

Rob

On a side note: What type of voltages and frequency do you folks run down under?

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Hi Grant, I have three R cabs in the shop that have been changed. All are bent in the roof skin/drip rails attributed to lifting with a sling from a single lifting point. All cabs were fully dressed, (complete) when they were done, (not by me) and I get to repair them which is relatively easy and pays well.

Rob

On a side note: What type of voltages and frequency do you folks run down under?

Hi, maybe they need to be more gentle with fork lift? this thing was a complete rusty cab the doors took the weight. it came off ok, poor thing.

we use 250volt in houses, 3 phase in industrial, and 12volt in most trucks an cars, euro stuff like volvo is 24 volt.

Grant

Hi, maybe they need to be more gentle with fork lift? this thing was a complete rusty cab the doors took the weight. it came off ok, poor thing.

we use 250volt in houses, 3 phase in industrial, and 12volt in most trucks an cars, euro stuff like volvo is 24 volt.

Grant

The cabs that I have are bent because of the persons pulling them tried to keep their forks as close to the top as possible. If they would have used longer straps through the doorways there would have been a lot less compression force through the roof and drip rails. Of course they would have needed a lot more lifting height to clear the frame and transmission. That is the purpose of the spreader bar. One of the cabs was lifted off with a chain so you can imagine the damage to it!

Rob

The cabs that I have are bent because of the persons pulling them tried to keep their forks as close to the top as possible. If they would have used longer straps through the doorways there would have been a lot less compression force through the roof and drip rails. Of course they would have needed a lot more lifting height to clear the frame and transmission. That is the purpose of the spreader bar. One of the cabs was lifted off with a chain so you can imagine the damage to it!

Rob

i put the forks through the closed doors, seem to work ok.... when you actually undo ALL the lines :wacko: also i orderd a cab rust section today, um its coming from :mack1: USA i wouldnt be surprised if al the parts are still available there.

Grant

\\

I had both forks in there with wide slippers, maybe i was just lucky?

Grant

I don't think you were lucky Grant. Your cab was lightened up by rust and lack of remaining steel! Air really is quite light in comparison to steel! LOL!!!

Rob

I don't think you were lucky Grant. Your cab was lightened up by rust and lack of remaining steel! Air really is quite light in comparison to steel! LOL!!!

Rob

True, i was more worried about it collapseing than anything. :D

True, i was more worried about it collapseing than anything. :D

Ya done well. When you go to reinstall the "rebuilt cab" a lot of weight can be saved if the doors are not installed. I like to build empty cabs on the floor or dolly as it takes many, many trips up the steps to install the interior when the cab is on the frame. It is so much easier on the body, (mine) to not have to climb to install parts! Back when I was 150 pounds less, it didn't much matter as I had a much easier time just moving around.

Rob

We just shut the doors,and run a wide strap through the door ,and use a excavator too pick up and move it around, ain"t damaged one yet!!!

Gday all. Sorry i havent been about for a couple of days. Thanks to everyone who wrote back, it gives me some pretty good ides to go on with. Keep on truckin eveyone, cheers. Skip