R686 hood length

Found this locally.

Locally means 1000 km away though.

There are remains of some R-model and the owner said it was R686.

Front axle, rears, tranny and the hood.

I was going to check it out but got a doubt.

My interest is to use the hood for my R wich is R688ST with E6-350 and air-to-air front mounted.

Is a R686 part 1 inch shorter and how bad it could be put instead?

By the word, any thoughts on the paint scheme? Any familiarity?

post-3971-0-64548700-1436041974_thumb.jp

Edited by Vladislav
  • Like 2

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Space the hinges off the hood 25mm add the same on the back edge with Fiber Glass from your old hood, if you feel the need. Worse comes you have a source for patch panels. Can't be a lot of R goodies around Russia. Paul

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I have 2 original hoods at the moment and can sacrifize one of them since it's beaten up pretty hard.

The other seem fixable but need work over the front hinge area so there's a risk of stress cracks in the future.

The same worries to length up the rear edge.

Paul, what do you mean of the hinge moving? Does a long hood have additional fatt in the hinge mounting area and hinges with brackets take the same place on frame rails?

OOPS!! I had it reversed, you need to cut 25 mm off the longer hood to put it on the 1981 and older R models

The Short hood will fit on the 1982 to 1989 R except for the missing 25 mm at the back. The hinges,mounts and clearances are the same between both of them and NO 25mm Spacers needed!.

That was the info given me when I bought my R hood from Jones Performance.

I didn't cut the newer hood on mine, I spaced it out so I could add an auxiliary cooler in front of my radiator. The longer hood is 54 1/4 inches long (1377.950 mm) my old hood was 53 3/8 inches (1355.725 mm).

Sorry for getting it reversed. Paul

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

This update sounds optimistic.

The junk owner said the truck was 1985. So there are chances the hood is long.

Today I checked out my trucks, it seems possible to move the radiator assembly about an inch backwards and than the hood hinge mountings.

Now I'm planning on a train trip. Can sleep at night and spend an only day for the deal.

The rear axles he has are of the same kind as the broken one in Siberian DMM so there's a reason to go anyway.

Just too many affairs are being plaited together and not much luck is getting out of. All as usual.

Thank you for the exact sizes. By the word there's the difference of 22 mm only, less than whole 25.4 :banana:

This update sounds optimistic.

The junk owner said the truck was 1985. So there are chances the hood is long.

Today I checked out my trucks, it seems possible to move the radiator assembly about an inch backwards and than the hood hinge mountings.

Now I'm planning on a train trip. Can sleep at night and spend an only day for the deal.

The rear axles he has are of the same kind as the broken one in Siberian DMM so there's a reason to go anyway.

Just too many affairs are being plaited together and not much luck is getting out of. All as usual.

Thank you for the exact sizes. By the word there's the difference of 22 mm only, less than whole 25.4 :banana:

MACK says 53 1/4 inches for the 1981 and older short hood and 54 1/4 for the 1982 to 1989 long hood plus or minus 1/8 inch (3.1 mm) is pretty good. Don't think anything needs to be moved for the 1985 hood.

P.T.CHESHIRE

• 2 weeks later...

Good deal!!

• Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE

Found this locally.

Locally means 1000 km away though.

There are remains of some R-model and the owner said it was R686.

Front axle, rears, tranny and the hood.

I was going to check it out but got a doubt.

My interest is to use the hood for my R wich is R688ST with E6-350 and air-to-air front mounted.

Is a R686 part 1 inch shorter and how bad it could be put instead?

By the word, any thoughts on the paint scheme? Any familiarity?

You've got a keen eye Vlad! Save any R parts you can!

Tim, I try my best.

There's an interesting story over the truck I bought the hood off.

The seller told there was some Bulgarian company wich built something in his city (Samara). They used that R to pull a concrete semi.

Once they blowed up the engine they stayed it parked for a while. Than they ended up the construction job and vent back home. But without the truck wich probably didn't worth the transportation. Seems like they didn't pay import taxes and had it imported temporary. So had no chances to sell locally. Some moons later folks who had the truck in their parking lot resolved to get some cash. They offered it to local junk yards and it came to the guys I bought the hood from. Probably due to having no official papers the truck wasn't sold solid but cut into pieces.

So I had to buy the rest. The most interesting thing was that the last seller kept those parts since 2008 and didn't sell anything excepting two alu fuel tanks and the pair of fresh front wheels just in the beginning. So it seems like a kind of saving.

Great job Vlad!

• Like 1