Mack Trucks deliveries jump 14 percent

kscarbel2

The Morning Call* / May 22, 2015

Mack Trucks is hauling a double-digit increase in deliveries through the first four months of the year.

So far this year, Mack has delivered 8,895 heavy-duty trucks worldwide, up almost 1,070 — or 14 percent — from the same period in 2014, according to a report released Thursday by the Sweden-based Volvo Group, Mack's parent company.

The increase in deliveries this year is being driven by strong growth in the North American and South American markets for Mack.

In North America 8,228 trucks were delivered, up from 7,326 during the first four months of 2014. Mack also has delivered 393 trucks in South America this year, an increase from 218 last year.

"Mack continues to see strong demand for our heavy-duty trucks across all market segments from customers looking to boost their bottom lines by replacing aging vehicles with newer Mack models that bring better fuel efficiency, improved productivity and greater reliability," Mack spokesman Christopher Heffner said in a statement. "Mack also has been successful in attracting new customers to our brand."

All Mack trucks built for the North American market are assembled at the company's facility in Lower Macungie Township. The facility, known as the Macungie Cab & Vehicle Assembly Facility, has approximately 1,950 employees, Heffner said.

As demand for Mack trucks has increased, Heffner said, the company has hired about 290 employees at the Lower Macungie plant since January 2014.

Regarding future hirings, Heffner said: "We monitor the market and adjust our employment needs based on market demand."

Across the heavy-duty truck industry, many international markets are sluggish or declining. But sales in North America are strong and the forecasts are promising.

For example, Volvo, in its first-quarter report, said it expects the total North American retail market for heavy-duty trucks to increase to about 310,000 vehicles in 2015. In 2014, the market increased by 14 percent to 270,300 vehicles, according to Volvo.

In addition, according to Wards Auto data, sales on medium- and heavy-duty trucks, classes 4 through 8, are up 13.5 percent compared with a year ago.

The growth has caught the attention of companies like Denso Corp., a global automotive supplier based in Japan. In mid-April, Denso announced it would expand its North American research and development capabilities to include heavy-duty and commercial vehicles.

Jim Mele, the longtime editor in chief of Fleet Owner magazine, said many truck manufacturers are up about 10 percent this year and more companies are adding extra shifts and granting more overtime.

"All the truck manufacturers are seeing strong sales," said Mele, who is based in Stamford, Conn.

Volvo, the world's second-largest truck-maker, has delivered 66,041 trucks through the first four months of the year, up 3 percent from the same period last year, when 64,199 trucks were distributed.

In 2001 Volvo bought Mack Trucks, which moved its headquarters from Allentown to North Carolina in September 2009.

Through the first four months of the year, Mack deliveries are up 14 percent. Here is the market breakdown:

• North America: 8,228 (up from 7,326)

• South America: 393 (up from 218)

• Asia: 23 (up from 3)

• Other Markets: 251 (down from 280)

Total Trucks Delivered: 8,895 (up from 7,827)

Source: Volvo Group

* The Morning Call, Pennsylvania's third largest newspaper, has served the Leigh Valley including Allentown, Bethlehem and Easton with distinction since 1883.

well theres some good news I reckon the Aussie market will be well down the economy in Australia has ground to a halt the percentage of Mack trucks up in north would appear to be fairly high dont know about the rest of Australia though

Paul

Mack would have to be less it would all depend on were you go as a guess for roadtrain and heavy haulage I would guess Mack out sell KW for interstate down south I reckon it would be the other way around a Aussie truck magazine used to publish the figures each month but they have gone as well now so it is all just a guess

Paul

I recently went to Brisbane and for the first time in a long time I saw more Macks on B double work I feel than all other brands put together and they all appeared to be the new Trident's I think is what they call them

Paul

And I feel they are not a bad looking jigger either they made such an impression I jumped on google and checked them out you never no

Yeah, I've always like the look of them. I really like the set forward axle ones. But it wouldn't turn heads like your R model Paul.

Just found the actual figures for last year. Mack was fourth highest with 981 sold, and it's an increase of 10%.

• Like 1