Endtlt673 Ouestion

rw613

HI,

I think that the code for the mack engines go kinda like this... EN stands for engine.. D stands for diesel,..... T stands for turbo, L stands for light weight model, and 673 is the series... although I think the cubic inch is 672 someone here will correct me. also I have seen some with a P. The P engines have a intake that has Two pipes. and a little more horsepower.

That might help..

Morgan

15 gears...no waiting!

THE P ENGINE HAD SMALLER RODS AND YES IT HIT ME TODAY I HAD A BRIAN FART LT LIGHT WEIGHT BECAUSE THE ENGINE HAS ALL ALUMINUM PARTS
The ENDT673 was not the same engine as the ENDT673a or b or c . The ENDT673abc was the first engine to have piston coolers and a loarger rod maxidyne liners. It was 225 and 250 HP

glenn akers

The ENDT673 was not the same engine as the ENDT673a or b or c . The ENDT673abc was the first engine to have piston coolers and a loarger rod maxidyne liners. It was 225 and 250 HP

Didn't the "L", (lightend components) engines use a single disc, push style clutch assy? All that I've seen have been this way. Both of my B models that have dual disc clutches have iron flywheel housings, and are pull style clutches, (I think).

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Didn't the "L", (lightend components) engines use a single disc, push style clutch assy? All that I've seen have been this way. Both of my B models that have dual disc clutches have iron flywheel housings, and are pull style clutches, (I think).

Rob

I think if you look you will find that they are push style. I have never seen a pull style in a B except in mine and that took some doing. You may be right about the single disc cause i cant remember.

glenn akers

I think if you look you will find that they are push style. I have never seen a pull style in a B except in mine and that took some doing. You may be right about the single disc cause i cant remember.

You are correct Glenn. I crawled under four trucks this evening to look at them. The 64 B-61 is the only one that uses a double disc clutch. I have never worked with, or adjusted it. All is dry so there is a lot of "dust and rust" in the flywheel housing. It looks physically different from the others and also has a countershaft clutch brake. It seems to work alright. One thing I did notice this evening on this truck is the bushings are shot where the arm travels through the rear spring hanger of the front spring. I could push the shaft all around at least 1/2 inch! The clutch works very well in the truck despite this.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

You are correct Glenn. I crawled under four trucks this evening to look at them. The 64 B-61 is the only one that uses a double disc clutch. I have never worked with, or adjusted it. All is dry so there is a lot of "dust and rust" in the flywheel housing. It looks physically different from the others and also has a countershaft clutch brake. It seems to work alright. One thing I did notice this evening on this truck is the bushings are shot where the arm travels through the rear spring hanger of the front spring. I could push the shaft all around at least 1/2 inch! The clutch works very well in the truck despite this.

Thanks,

Rob

That is all repairable and a little brass on the shaft makes good as new.When you adjust that double disc some times you have to remove shims from under the pressure plate to stay in the range.

glenn akers

Rob said:

I did notice this evening on this truck is the bushings are shot where the arm travels through the rear spring hanger of the front spring. I could push the shaft all around at least 1/2 inch! The clutch works very well in the truck despite this.

Usually when they're like that, it works fine until you turn a sharp corner with a load on the truck, then the clutch adjustment goes completely out of whack. Steer one way and it's all free play, steer the other way and the clutch pedal has no free play, tight right to the top.

Used to be common on B61 dump trucks.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Rob said:

Usually when they're like that, it works fine until you turn a sharp corner with a load on the truck, then the clutch adjustment goes completely out of whack. Steer one way and it's all free play, steer the other way and the clutch pedal has no free play, tight right to the top.

Used to be common on B61 dump trucks.

Hi Herb, never had a load on this truck, (tractor) other than the one semi trailer and that was on flat roads but I can see that being a delimma. Ever seen one start to slip only under power through a turn while loaded to the point the truck stops?

Rob