Replace 41-MT with gear reduction starter ?

b615rich

So I got the starter out and put on a new solenoid. Bench tests fine but guy at auto electric showed me the replacement reduction gear unit. Much lighter and rated about 20-30% more powerful (7kw). Anyone had any luck with these? Worth $300 for faster cranking rpm? A generic unit so not sure they are as repairable as the Remy's. The 41 has been superseded by the 42, I know a good unit but about $450-500 new.. May just put the old one in but wondering if worth an upgrade. ?

My R had one, spun faster, less draw and worked just fine. Sounded like a starter no louder no quieter.

If the old one checks out O.K. why replace it? I'd personally save the $ for something needed. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

• 4 weeks later...

Came fast from "starterdaddy" (silly name but highly rated) on e-bay. Packed really well. Got it in, so much lighter than the old one. Engine turns right over. I had wondered about my batteries but the reduction unit does really well, seems batteries are more than adequate. Good to have something new but do appreciate all of the the advice. Onward.