Need Information on 1948 Mack Fire Truck Model L85

jrgregory100

Welcome aboard; nice truck. Was it from Radford, Va by any chance?

The first thing you need to do is send the chassis number to the Mack Museum to get an owner's manual, any delivery pictures they have, and a lot more information about the truck.

Next go buy a copy of Harvey Eckart's book "Mack Fire Trucks: 1911-2005 (An Illustrated History)" It will have all sorts of information about L series fire trucks in it.

My guess on the weight would be around 18K. Your best bet is to go get it weighed if you need an accurate number.

Do you have fire service experience? You should also consider joining SPAAMFAA and ODHFS the VA chapter of SPAAMFAA.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

That is a sexy Mack fire truck. We would all love to see more pictures of it and learn about the history of the unit. I'm sure we can give you some specifics on the set up with more pictures of the engine and such. I cannot tell if it is the ENF707A engine but I think it should be. The light gray piece at the firewall under the hood is interesting and foreign to my eye but I know different equipment was possible so it is simply different than mine, and I'm by no means expert on all the variations. The siren is different that mine too but again it may be proper based on what was ordered...I'm sure the other guys can tell more but post pics and we will comment for sure.

Do you have the suction lines and the caps for the pump inlets and outlets? What is with it still for equipment?

Nice truck!

Greg

Beautiful truck. Welcome to the forum. I have one like it: 85LS1101. Delivered new to Boyertown PA in 1947. http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/index.php?/gallery/image/10134-1947-mack-85ls-1951-mack-405a-1979-gmc-7000/

I'll help if I can. Mike

Greg, the grey thing is an air filter. Mine has one like it but my father took it off.