Help me with my exhaust please (powder coating)

My truck is a 95 RD E7 350. It came with a 5 inch from turbo then reduced to 4 inch because thats all that they could fit in the frame area, then it goes under the cab, then to a flex pipe, then to a long pipe, then to the muffler.

Okay I need a new muffler and a pipe that goes from the flex pipe on the bottom of the truck to the muffler ( that pipe is 1500 dollars from mack and is stainless steel) I almost bought it. Then i started to think it would be a better idea to just get the cheap cast iron one (400-700 dollars??) and have it powdercoated a new chrome finish.

Two questions. Where is the best place to get a muffler? Im sure mack has a replacement stock one, but are there options to get a better one? more high flowing, I am not sure what the measurements are, 4 inch muffler to a 5 inch tip? Is mack the only place to call? Before you ask why i want to do this is because my current muffler has been bad for awhile, its leaking and i get soot all on the back of my truck and when i wash it , it goes everywhere.

The next question is , would it look better if i decided to get the muffler and long exhaust pipe that goes under the cab up to muffler BOTH powderocated chrome? I don't think it has been done and might look good?

Is there a problem with powdercoating a muffler? I know its ceramic coating and would help with heat plus i don't think it will crack off.

So here is what i ultimately would like to do. Get a new pipe from flex pipe to muffler ( can it be 5 inches or bigger? ) who makes it? Get a new muffler, Get a new exhaust tip) Not sure what to do other than talk to my mechanic and have him do research and pay a fortune. Anyways, let me know what you think

Slow and Steady Wins the Race!

Cast iron,are you sure of that,I did the exhaust on my 96 cl a few years back,got the under cab pipe that connects to the muffler for about 150 and it was chrome also scored a chrome Donaldson free flow muffler 5'' for 200,found chrome clamps and hardware on there also for cheap,all on e-bay,search on line,there's plenty of places to buy from,what ever you do why powder coat anything,u cant see it under the cab and you can can get a chrome muffler guard to cover the muffler,also some people use flex for the under cab pipe.

I'm glad that you scored a good deal but i don't know where to begin to get my exhaust stuff. I guess i just need to take measurements and call a chrome shop? I found something like this just doing a search.

http://www.raneystruckparts.com/mack-granite-r-model-aluminized-muffler-10-body-diameter/

Says its aluminized. What does that mean? It will be polished?

I think you are missing the point about why i want to powdercoat. Its because its the only way to get a shinier muffler and pipe for cheaper than mack makes. I already have the guard that goes over the muffler which makes it look good from the passenger side, but from the drivers side it just looks like a dull finish and i thought powdercoating it would look good. Do they make chrome MUFFLERS? I don't think so.

Upon more research i found this.

http://www.truckpipesusa.com/categories/mufflers/type-1-end-in-end-out-centered.html

Looks like i CAN get a chrome muffler :)

So i would need 4 inch inlet and 5 inch outlet and then its up to me to figure out how tall i want it to be and then just use the existing muffler bracket that came with the truck right?

I think what i would like to do is get a 5 inch inlet and outlet, i think the 5 inch would look a little beefier coming to the muffler. Is it as simple as just taking measurements or is mack the only that is going to make the pipe that goes from muffler to flex pipe under cab?

I'm glad that you scored a good deal but i don't know where to begin to get my exhaust stuff. I guess i just need to take measurements and call a chrome shop? I found something like this just doing a search.

http://www.raneystruckparts.com/mack-granite-r-model-aluminized-muffler-10-body-diameter/

Says its aluminized. What does that mean? It will be polished?

No that won't be polished that's just a plain Jane muffler,most likely what you have on now,like i said you can cover it with a chrome guard,Raneys should have everything you need ,call or e-mail them tell what you want to do,if you want a chrome muffler look at Iowa 84 for some ideas,or maybe Raneys can get one for you,good luck

I don't think you will be able to have a 5 inch inlet and a 5 inch pipe from the muffler to the flex, because thier just isn't any room for the larger diameter pipe. Chrome mufflers are available and you should check around mack dealers for the chrome pipe that would come from the bottom of the muffler to the flex. There is a big difference in pricing from one dealer to the next. Our first call is to Axle Equipment and then CIT.

I have seen some good looking r model macks on google but its always asking me to sign up for pinterest to see more pictures. i think the look to go for is a 5 inch inlet and outlet chrome muffler. I do like the chrome guard. I have one already. It makes the muffler look bigger than it is. Still tossing some ideas around of what its going to look like but i have it narrowed down to 1 pipe.

I don't think you will be able to have a 5 inch inlet and a 5 inch pipe from the muffler to the flex, because thier just isn't any room for the larger diameter pipe. Chrome mufflers are available and you should check around mack dealers for the chrome pipe that would come from the bottom of the muffler to the flex. There is a big difference in pricing from one dealer to the next. Our first call is to Axle Equipment and then CIT.

When i wanted the pipe that goes under cab to muffler , axle wanted 1500 dollars for the stainless steel version. I think you can make a custom 5 inch one fit from past the flex pipe to the muffler. There is enough room i think. Only thing that is in the way is the hydraulic line going to the tank.