Question From New Guy

On my way home from Allentown, Mack Museum, today, found an old B model of sorts, could not really determine if it was B61 or not. Could anyone advise if this single axle was avail w/ flathead 6 cyl.? That is what guy told me when I called. It's in rough shape, rot, rust, glass missing, any ideas on value here? Thanks to all. rustydog

The smaller the model number, the lighter the chassis and smaller the engine(usually). Even numbers were gas motors, odd numbers were diesel. They look relatively all the same, with a few changes here/there.

Look at the right frame rail, behind the front spring hanger for the serial number, which will tell you what model is.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Rusty,

If you are seriously looking for a project - do the homework first.

Determine which model you would like and go find it.

Then buy the best one you can find. Especially if you are not a

professional at antique restorations.

I have found that big trucks are substantially easier to do than

automobiles, and harder than old farm tractors.

Still they eat money at an alarming rate, especially if the project

requires a lot of repair in areas where one is not necessarily an expert.

The very best money spent is spent on the day you buy the truck.

In the case of Mack trucks - there is quite a bit of unrestored inventory

around the country. So finding something that really fits your needs is

quite likely. And belonging to this forum is really good.

Case in point -

I have a B-67 diesel tractor in my shop now that I probably should not have

purchased. But, it was my 1st Mack, and I was in a weak state of mind.

It was long before I joined this BMT site.

I will have in excess of ten thousand dollars in the cab alone on this truck,

before paint! Mostly because I need to hire most of my body welding work done.

The cab is now made up of three different cabs to get good sheet metal.

Mechanically the truck was OK. It still required the disassembly and rebuilding

of all systems and components. Another ten to fifteen thousand. And that assumes

that the engine is good.

Plus rubber and wheels, brakes, glass, wiring and plumbing etc., etc. More money!!

And to rub in a little salt - it's still a B-67. It could be the least desireable

of all the B models.

My intention is to use the truck as a shop truck with a 25t lowboy, so I don't really

care about the value - yet.

By contrast I have an H-63 that, other than needing an engine, is almost perfect for restoration.

No major cab surgery necessary. Much, much less frustrating. I have spare engines that are correct.

And I have an early R-600 that needs rocker panels and some light sheet metal work. It runs

and drives perfectly. Very inexpensive and a quick path to a fully restored truck.

In both of these cases, careful shopping netted pretty good trucks. And I am actually

looking forward to working on both trucks.

Compared to my B-67, they look like a cake walk.

So, my advice is - Don't jump on the 1st thing you find.

Do your homework, and be honest with yourself as to your limitations.

Then, buy accordingly.

Good Luck,

Paul Van Scott

very good advice,Paul. When I got the mixer it needed very little work-the main reason I bought it. It was the best looking b-model around here for the price,and the previous owner used to work for the ready mix co. that owned it,and he kept this one to restore himself when they sold all the b-models.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Rusty,

If you are seriously looking for a project - do the homework first.

Determine which model you would like and go find it.

Then buy the best one you can find. Especially if you are not a

professional at antique restorations.

I have found that big trucks are substantially easier to do than

automobiles, and harder than old farm tractors.

Still they eat money at an alarming rate, especially if the project

requires a lot of repair in areas where one is not necessarily an expert.

The very best money spent is spent on the day you buy the truck.

In the case of Mack trucks - there is quite a bit of unrestored inventory

around the country. So finding something that really fits your needs is

quite likely. And belonging to this forum is really good.

Case in point -

I have a B-67 diesel tractor in my shop now that I probably should not have

purchased. But, it was my 1st Mack, and I was in a weak state of mind.

It was long before I joined this BMT site.

I will have in excess of ten thousand dollars in the cab alone on this truck,

before paint! Mostly because I need to hire most of my body welding work done.

The cab is now made up of three different cabs to get good sheet metal.

Mechanically the truck was OK. It still required the disassembly and rebuilding

of all systems and components. Another ten to fifteen thousand. And that assumes

that the engine is good.

Plus rubber and wheels, brakes, glass, wiring and plumbing etc., etc. More money!!

And to rub in a little salt - it's still a B-67. It could be the least desireable

of all the B models.

My intention is to use the truck as a shop truck with a 25t lowboy, so I don't really

care about the value - yet.

By contrast I have an H-63 that, other than needing an engine, is almost perfect for restoration.

No major cab surgery necessary. Much, much less frustrating. I have spare engines that are correct.

And I have an early R-600 that needs rocker panels and some light sheet metal work. It runs

and drives perfectly. Very inexpensive and a quick path to a fully restored truck.

In both of these cases, careful shopping netted pretty good trucks. And I am actually

looking forward to working on both trucks.

Compared to my B-67, they look like a cake walk.

So, my advice is - Don't jump on the 1st thing you find.

Do your homework, and be honest with yourself as to your limitations.

Then, buy accordingly.

Good Luck,

Paul Van Scott

Hi Paul, I couldn't agree with you more! I know my limitations, and although the temptation is there to jump right in quickly, I try to always weigh all my options. I did speak to Kevin All this morning.

Probably planning a trip up to visit his yard; the more I see, the better idea I'll have as to where to spend the first fistfull of greenbacks. I have learned sooo much just reading through areas of this site

in just the past few days, and look forward to learning even more as time goes on.

Special thanks to you, freighttrain and dave gilmour?, for the recent advice--every word is taken to heart. P.S. other dog--I don,t even have a garage yet, let alone a MIXER !!! thx

I would try to find a truck that was in decent running condition in the first place. One that was drug outta a field will tend to have alot more wrong with it and need more parts replaced.

I watched my truck for a few years before buying it. It was still in use, though very little, I knew it ran and did the job. It needed stuff done, but I could work and drive it too. Unless you plan on doing a full blown restoration, don't get it in too many pieces as it gets harder and harder to put back together without spending MORE money(right Paul?).

Most of the tinkering I've done was with simple hand tools and truck wasn't down for extended time periods.

I'm really looking hard at getting a "bigger" truck, and would love to sell the ol girl. Can't seem to find that right truck, so I'll keep pluggin along. I use my truck every weekend, so selling it prematurely would not be a good thing.

Larry

Hi Paul, I couldn't agree with you more! I know my limitations, and although the temptation is there to jump right in quickly, I try to always weigh all my options. I did speak to Kevin All this morning.

Probably planning a trip up to visit his yard; the more I see, the better idea I'll have as to where to spend the first fistfull of greenbacks. I have learned sooo much just reading through areas of this site

in just the past few days, and look forward to learning even more as time goes on.

Special thanks to you, freighttrain and dave gilmour?, for the recent advice--every word is taken to heart. P.S. other dog--I don,t even have a garage yet, let alone a MIXER !!! thx

:P me neither! I keep the mixer parked where I work,at F.L.Moore and Sons trucking,parked outside in the weather. And i'm Tom by the way,I just used a David Gilmour quote for my signature,because it-well,I like it and Pink Floyd's my favorite band-he always says that at the end of a concert. Another myth busted? I'm an old truck driver that never really got into country or bluegrass-not that there's anything wrong with it,I just prefer Pink Floyd,or ZZ Top,or Led Zeppilin,Thorogood,Grand Funk,The Hollies...etc. :Mixer1:

I would try to find a truck that was in decent running condition in the first place. One that was drug outta a field will tend to have alot more wrong with it and need more parts replaced.

I watched my truck for a few years before buying it. It was still in use, though very little, I knew it ran and did the job. It needed stuff done, but I could work and drive it too. Unless you plan on doing a full blown restoration, don't get it in too many pieces as it gets harder and harder to put back together without spending MORE money(right Paul?).

Most of the tinkering I've done was with simple hand tools and truck wasn't down for extended time periods.

I'm really looking hard at getting a "bigger" truck, and would love to sell the ol girl. Can't seem to find that right truck, so I'll keep pluggin along. I use my truck every weekend, so selling it prematurely would not be a good thing.

I can understand that, but you know you'd miss it when you rolled into Norwalk and John Force ran over to ask "what tha' %#*! happened to your hauler? What tha' *&$! is this,a loaner?" It just wouldn't be the same :(

Ya, well I like the attention the ol girl gets(even my g/f likes it).........but I want more power/comfort/bunk. I could change what I got, but I've always wanted a KW so I'm keeping my options open.

Larry

Ya, well I like the attention the ol girl gets(even my g/f likes it).........but I want more power/comfort/bunk. I could change what I got, but I've always wanted a KW so I'm keeping my options open.

yeah,that's the part I understand,power and comfort,which I have none of either,and don't drive the mixer near as much as you drive yours. The short trip (little over 20 miles each way) to Toga will almost cook you in the summer.

This is my favorite of all the trucks i'ver ever driven- a 2000 W900L w/N14 525hp Cummins,13spd,3.70s. Truck ran great,drove great,pulled strong,never broke down, but Jeff traded it for a P.O.S. Peterbilt w/ a cat engine because it had almost 700,000 lies on it.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=y2aOccbfAqE&feature=related

...now THAT'S what i'm talkin' 'bout!

if you want to check out Pink Floyd,all their albums are good except "The Final Cut"...sucks,big time. "Dark Side of the Moon" is the best,"Delicate Sound of Thunder" is their best live album,but if you're only gonna get one,"Pulse" is the one to get-it has all the (well,most-it doesn't have "Pigs" on it) best songs,plus the entire "Dark Side of the Moon" on it.That's the concert tour they were on when I saw them at Carter Finley stadium in Raleigh,N.C. in the early 90's. The awesomeness of it defies description,especially the part when the giant inflatable pigs pop out from over the speaker towers during "One of These Days"...So much for today's music review B)