why are there different air intakes (diesel vs gas)?

dek1581

looking to repower mack c85 from gas 707 to diesel (most likely maxidyne). could I utilize original air intake slots on side of cab or do I have to pipe and cap through engine cover? if not, what is the reason?

I would check out an existing diesel powered C model to see how Mack did it. My guess is that the air filter is so much larger for the diesel that it will not fit inside the dog box.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Diesel engines like to have cooler air coming in. Most fire apparatus that have gasoline powered engines back then used the air that was drawn in from inside the engine box. Hot air. Gasoline engines didn't really care that much.

Diesel engines like the cooler air, drawn from the exterior of the engine box, and yes, they also require a lot more air. The physics of air movement did tend to restrict (to a certain extent) the air going into a diesel when the intake was inside the engine box.

We had a 1978 Hahn with a 671T Detroit (shut up you morons, I was 6 years old when it was delivered and I had nothing to do with it........) that had a square Farr intake/filter on the inside of the engine box. Later in life we switched it out to an exterior-mounted and much larger cannister-type intake/filter. She ran a hell of a lot better after that.

• Like 1

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Many years ago, Nashua, NH had a 1959 Mack "C-85F" with a "707" gas engine re-powered with a Mack

diesel (283 hp). The work was done by McDevitt Mack in Manchester, NH. The new air intake was mounted

horizontally on top of the engine cowl. The joke was that the Mack engine had jet assist.

bulldogboy