Power Sterring

My B61 has a belt driven power sterring setup, my question is what type of fluid does it take in the reservoir?

I drove many a B model but they all had standard sterring, the stronger you were, the better they steered. B)

Snowy

My B61 has a belt driven power sterring setup, my question is what type of fluid does it take in the reservoir?

I drove many a B model but they all had standard sterring, the stronger you were, the better they steered. B)

Snowy

A lot of trucks take 10-W-30 engine oil in the reservoir. I always use Dexron ATF in mine.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

A lot of trucks take 10-W-30 engine oil in the reservoir. I always use Dexron ATF in mine.

Rob

Thanks Rob, when I picked this truck up the reservoir was empty so I drained the system and filled it with ATF dexron, reflecting on it I figured I better check.

Snowy

• 2 weeks later...

Snowy

yeah,that's armstrong steering. I drove many trucks with that type steering. My b-model has power steering though,I've always just put motor oil in the reservoir.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Thanks Rob, when I picked this truck up the reservoir was empty so I drained the system and filled it with ATF dexron, reflecting on it I figured I better check.

Snowy

Dexron II, or III is always a safe bet when unsure as it does not have some of the "friction modifiers" incorporated into it. Quite often, the detergent additives that are incorporated into engine oil, (except non-detergent and/or air compressor oil) will cause old sealing materials to fail on short order. Some additives to engine oil nowadays were not around when these trucks were designed and built and consequently, the older rubber was not designed to withstand the corrosive properties of some of these additives.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Dexron II, or III is always a safe bet when unsure as it does not have some of the "friction modifiers" incorporated into it. Quite often, the detergent additives that are incorporated into engine oil, (except non-detergent and/or air compressor oil) will cause old sealing materials to fail on short order. Some additives to engine oil nowadays were not around when these trucks were designed and built and consequently, the older rubber was not designed to withstand the corrosive properties of some of these additives.

Rob

uh-oh. that's what i'll be using from now on then.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Snowy,

A neighbor friend used to drive these trucks back in the 60's. He told me that ATF was the best lubricant that you can use. He said the Cadilac Dealers used ATF in the engines of new cars instead of oil. Well I know that it is GREAT to use in just about anything. It can withstand alot of heat. It will not freeze up in the winter.

Nuf Said!

mike