Hi From Australia

Mr & Mrs Nobby

You coming down to Victoria, Rob?

Hi Andy, sorry for the delay as I didn't see your post. We're planning an extended outing that will be approximately six weeks in length. We would like to visit a good portion of the country, (and persons) bypassing most of the important "stops" for tourists. I don't really care to be bogged down if traffic and such, but would rather see something as it really is, intermingling with the populace. My brother was into port at Perth a couple of times when in our military. My grandpa was in Oz also during the war.

I would find riding a road train "entertaining", but don't think my wife would care to ride along. My mother-in-law, she would be right there with me.

I'm "keenly" interested in learning to drive a Rt. steer B model Mack, and if the opportunity presents itself, I'm gonna jump on it, (hint, hint)!!

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Hi Andy, sorry for the delay as I didn't see your post. We're planning an extended outing that will be approximately six weeks in length. We would like to visit a good portion of the country, (and persons) bypassing most of the important "stops" for tourists. I don't really care to be bogged down if traffic and such, but would rather see something as it really is, intermingling with the populace. My brother was into port at Perth a couple of times when in our military. My grandpa was in Oz also during the war.

I would find riding a road train "entertaining", but don't think my wife would care to ride along. My mother-in-law, she would be right there with me.

I'm "keenly" interested in learning to drive a Rt. steer B model Mack, and if the opportunity presents itself, I'm gonna jump on it, (hint, hint)!!

Rob

Hey Rob, if you get to Port Pirie in South Australia, I might be able to get you a trip in that Superliner that's in my avatar, or one of it's brothers. They do double road train acid tankers. Give us a yell if you get this way.

Siberia? Sounds like fun!!!!!. We can go together as I've never been there! Just reserve me a "double seat" on the airline, or truck! We need comfort with such a long outing. Hopefully I can control my snoring habit so you may sleep also.

Can't leave my mother-in-law anywhere distant or I would starve! So we should prolly bring her along too.

What kind or brand of paint do you folks use down under?

Rob

why does the word Cannabalism keep popping into my head. :blink:

Ummmmm, as for driving a b-model, well, I don't like to point out a blokes physical misfortunes,

but b-models aren't very big, and errrrr :unsure:

well I don't think you'd fit in it,

with your big ears

But you're welcome to try, and Mother-in-law can probably ride in the bunk, (in case you need a snack)

If you're out here late in the year, it's a good time to catch a roadtrain working the grain harvest

why does the word Cannabalism keep popping into my head. :blink:

Ummmmm, as for driving a b-model, well, I don't like to point out a blokes physical misfortunes,

but b-models aren't very big, and errrrr :unsure:

well I don't think you'd fit in it,

with your big ears

But you're welcome to try, and Mother-in-law can probably ride in the bunk, (in case you need a snack)

If you're out here late in the year, it's a good time to catch a roadtrain working the grain harvest

Yes, I want to get back "in touch" with my long lost cousins the "Maori" of NZ. I hear their Bar-B-Q is delicious, especially the "long pig", and "hairless goat".

Now that I think about it, prolly better get my tattoo(s) freshened up a bit.

I'll be sure to bring my 12 inch "Mr Gasket" racing steer wheel to ensure that my oversize carcass will fit into the cab. I don't have many problems with my own B models once securely shoved into place, and if someone from the outside slams the driver's door for me. With enough downward force applied to the seat, nothing moves. Sure hope you have vinyl seating upholstery in your trucks as I would hate to "ooze" any fluids onto them, leave a mess, and ruin the whole experience.

Better go for now as this "lazy" eye of mine is starting to be a bother and needs a rest.

Have a great day Mate!

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Hey Rob, if you get to Port Pirie in South Australia, I might be able to get you a trip in that Superliner that's in my avatar, or one of it's brothers. They do double road train acid tankers. Give us a yell if you get this way.

Hi Chris. Fortunately my wife does not read this board and has very little interest in my trucks, hobbies, or for the most part, my personality! She thinks I"m "gross", (imagine that)!

This trip is to be an aniversary gift and I want to include my mother in law as she has been such a positive influence in our lives, and while getting along in age, is still very adventuresome.

I will be enlisting several persons to guide me along on the trip as to where to stay, eat, visit, and such. Want to make the trip interesting for all but I don't relax doing nothing very well. I think participating with a "road train" for my own relaxation would be great.

On another note, how difficult would it be to get either a permit, or license to drive an automobile in OZ, and NZ? Would it be money ahead to purchase a car while there as opposed to renting? It seems if I were to purchase, and have someone there broker the sale once departed, it might be less costly. I do plan to cover quite a bit of distance on the trip. What do you think?

Thanks,

Rob

On another note, how difficult would it be to get either a permit, or license to drive an automobile in OZ, and NZ? Would it be money ahead to purchase a car while there as opposed to renting? It seems if I were to purchase, and have someone there broker the sale once departed, it might be less costly. I do plan to cover quite a bit of distance on the trip. What do you think?

Hi Rob, this may be of some help and I'm sure they can be issued in the USA.

http://www.aaa.com/PPInternational/Int_IDP.html

http://www.aaa.asn.au/touring/idp.htm

Buying a cheap, reliable car here is a very viable option if you are going to travel for awhile. I would suggest something like a 10 year old Ford Falcon, (aircon, auto etc) which could be purchased for $3-4,000 and then resold when you depart. (You are going back, aren't you???? :unsure: ).

Regards, Rod.

http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars/FORD/...amp;state_id=80

Proud owner of;

1961 Mack B61 prime mover.

1981 International ACCO 1810C DualCab Fire Truck

Hi Rob, this may be of some help and I'm sure they can be issued in the USA.

http://www.aaa.com/PPInternational/Int_IDP.html

http://www.aaa.asn.au/touring/idp.htm

Buying a cheap, reliable car here is a very viable option if you are going to travel for awhile. I would suggest something like a 10 year old Ford Falcon, (aircon, auto etc) which could be purchased for $3-4,000 and then resold when you depart. (You are going back, aren't you???? :unsure: ).

Regards, Rod.

http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars/FORD/...amp;state_id=80

Thanks Rod, I will in the near future start the research into this "venture".

I've pretty much got the NZ part locked down. A dear friend of mines' wife is actually from NZ and they visit every other year. We will travel with them and stay together during their duration traveling the country. Upon their departure back to the states, my party will depart for Australia for another four to six weeks sightseeing and visiting.

As far as going back? I dunno. I'm ready for a change. Don't really owe anybody anything. Kids are grown and gone. Don't even have grandkids yet. My new "younguns" have a bulldog on the hood, it would be really expensive to import my trucks there I'm sure.

How does one negotiate traffic there in a left hand steer vehicle? Is that anywhere near common?

Rob

Thanks Rod, I will in the near future start the research into this "venture".

I've pretty much got the NZ part locked down. A dear friend of mines' wife is actually from NZ and they visit every other year. We will travel with them and stay together during their duration traveling the country. Upon their departure back to the states, my party will depart for Australia for another four to six weeks sightseeing and visiting.

As far as going back? I dunno. I'm ready for a change. Don't really owe anybody anything. Kids are grown and gone. Don't even have grandkids yet. My new "younguns" have a bulldog on the hood, it would be really expensive to import my trucks there I'm sure.

How does one negotiate traffic there in a left hand steer vehicle? Is that anywhere near common?

Rob

boy your in for an interesting time! :D

are you heading to the west?

boy your in for an interesting time! :D

are you heading to the west?

Hi Grant, what I'm actually evaluating is staying three days in each area, and traveling the balance from point to point. We won't really have a schedule to adhere to, but want to take as much in as possible.

Rob

Hi Grant, what I'm actually evaluating is staying three days in each area, and traveling the balance from point to point. We won't really have a schedule to adhere to, but want to take as much in as possible.

Rob

3 days in each area? are you flying from state to state? australia is 5% bigger than the USA with only 20million people and perth is about 27 drive time hours west of port peerie in south oz.

your gonna be busy.

regards Grant

3 days in each area? are you flying from state to state? australia is 5% bigger than the USA with only 20million people and perth is about 27 drive time hours west of port peerie in south oz.

your gonna be busy.

regards Grant

Hi Grant, we do not have any itinerary scheduled as of yet. I really don't know the geography of the country but we are open to any discussion. As the time draws nearer, we will get into specific details.

I'm not against renting an automobile and flying from state to state but really don't mind driving either. Whenever we go someplace, I always do the driving extensively.

Thanks,

Rob

I reckon you should buy a car and drive around the country.

And you better stop in and see us, visit the opal fields, have a run in our b-model (hopefully it will be going by then),

Any idea when this big adventure will take place?

august is pretty good for travelling, climate wise, and there's the big annual truck show at Alice Springs.

Next weekend is the vintage truck and tractor show in Dubbo, western NSW. Apparently the motels are nearly booked out, might have to take the kombi down

• 2 weeks later...
Hey, I strongly resemble that!!

Actually there is less of me now. I lost 3 pounds last week!! It was tough cutting just one large double cheese pizza from the diet per day, but I did it!!

By the time we are ready for the trip to Siberia, I should be a fit and trim 295 pounds at this rate!

Rob

Well sorry to report that I've regained some weight. Seems I can't let go of the morning breakfast of eight glazed rounds, and four glazed twists (washed down with half and half and 1/2 pot of coffee) down at the cop shop with the guys. I'm currently residing right at 325 pounds, (again). This is a real negative offset to my prior progress.

My wife whom is a bit taller than I at 5'4'', is now just under 100 pounds lighter than me. Our counselor had the nerve to suggest that we cut our calorie intake in half, (like she knows what she is talking about). I asked just how I was supposed to do that and she disgustingly threw her arms into the air and left the room. I told her that a "stiff breeze" would probably blow her into the next county. This from a person whom is thin as a toothpick!

I have a word of advice for you folks. Don't buy Sealy mattress products. My dear mother in law purchased a new king size set for us, (top of the line) with a lifetime warranty during the holidays last year and we are on our second warranty replacement as of this date. The bedding store states they can no longer "afford" to offer a warranty on these bedding products and that if this set fails, they will refund the money paid. They even had the gaul to suggest that their bedding products were not designed to support 500 pounds dead center but rather more widely spaced! I countered with a mattress should not remain compressed with no weight applied by almost nine inches when the person(s) get up in the morning!

I know what you're probably thinking by this time. "These people need a waterbed". Well, we tried that once, a long time ago. I was crawling into bed beside my wife for a little "affection" and upon rolling over onto my elbow for some "topside" action, the mattress burst ruining the whole experience. All we could think of was "Gol-l-l-l-y, what a mess"! 2.5 inches of lakewater all over the bedroom of our trailer house at the time. This ultimately ruined the carpet and pressboard floor from rot, and swelling. There was water running down the sides of the lower skirting of the trailer that froze almost instantly as it was February as I remember. The water even ruined my favorite pair of undershorts with the big red hearts that my wife got me for St. Valentines day! I didn't know they were under the bed as I thought they had been put in the hamper.

Well got to close for now. Momma has darn near got the hot dogs ready for breakfast; Only get them on Sunday morning anymore but they have always been my favorite.

I did post a photo for those that don't know me in my profile. The photo is poor and taken from my enrollment in the second Weight Watchers program we attempted. It was found to be a waste of time as those people want you to STARVE!

Now that I've broken my silence, you guys need to post photos of yourselves. I'm sure you've got nothing to hide as I don't. Be sure to post only your "best" photo.

Rob

shock.gif

*hey honey! I think we might need to put some more leaves in the spring pak before Rob gets here*

waterbeds! pfffft, can't trust the ruddy things, Hubby turns over and the ensuing tsunami dumps me on the floor icon_rolleyes.gif

Hey Rob, I think we must go to the same gym! Fair is fair, I've posted a superb pic of me in my prime (i.e. taken yesty)

Edited by Knobby

shock.gif

*hey honey! I think we might need to put some more leaves in the spring pak before Rob gets here*

waterbeds! pfffft, can't trust the ruddy things, Hubby turns over and the ensuing tsunami dumps me on the floor icon_rolleyes.gif

Hey Rob, I think we must go to the same gym! Fair is fair, I've posted a superb pic of me in my prime (i.e. taken yesty)

Hey, I like it!! Superb is a perfect description! If only the rest of the world was so perfect!!

Now I got to go eat a couple half gallons of ice cream for dinner as my wife will be too late at work to cook!

Rob

Hi Knobby

Hope you had a good weekend in dubbo, and the trip was worth it, the pics are really good, do you have any comments about the weekend?

Monty.

Hi Monty

('tis the better half here :P ) Yes, really enjoyed the weekend, I didn't expect so many tractors but they were great to see. My favourite was that old Lanz Bulldog belching flames in the tractor pull. And the ford V8 was an eye opener! Hubby got all inspired and went out yesty and dragged an old fergie TE20 home. I'm gonna have to find a better hiding spot for the cheque book. :angry:

The trucks, cars and bikes put on a good display.It was good to see people put the effort in to bring their cars and bikes along.

As for constructive critisism, well, a more active input from the trucks would be good, e.g, truck pull, b-model drag race, (ok only kidding on that one) driver skills test, reversing, parking, driving through witches hats etc, and I was a bit disappointed in the final parade as many of the trucks had already buggered off. Also day two was a rerun of day one. Still this was only the second or third year? so a great turnout

I did hear a rumour that public liability insurance becomes a nightmare once the trucks become mobile though. So that takes a bit of fun out of things

Hi Chris. Fortunately my wife does not read this board and has very little interest in my trucks, hobbies, or for the most part, my personality! She thinks I"m "gross", (imagine that)!

This trip is to be an aniversary gift and I want to include my mother in law as she has been such a positive influence in our lives, and while getting along in age, is still very adventuresome.

I will be enlisting several persons to guide me along on the trip as to where to stay, eat, visit, and such. Want to make the trip interesting for all but I don't relax doing nothing very well. I think participating with a "road train" for my own relaxation would be great.

Thanks,

Rob

Rob, I know when my parents go overseas, they have an "international" drivers licence which they organize here before they leave. Not having driven overseas I don't know the details, but I guess your local motoring organization could help. As for a car, I guess as has been said buying one would be best to see you round for 6 weeks or so, probably the cheapest option. I can't guarantee a drive of a road train, but a ride is pretty much ok, although I should have mentioned a round trip is about 11 hours!!! Maybe if you ask nice, you might get a steer up the road a bit, away from the authorities so to speak. And don't worry about driving here, pedals are in the same position, just opposite side of the car, along with the steering wheel. :D

Hi Monty

('tis the better half here :P ) Yes, really enjoyed the weekend, I didn't expect so many tractors but they were great to see. My favourite was that old Lanz Bulldog belching flames in the tractor pull. And the ford V8 was an eye opener! Hubby got all inspired and went out yesty and dragged an old fergie TE20 home. I'm gonna have to find a better hiding spot for the cheque book. :angry:

The trucks, cars and bikes put on a good display.It was good to see people put the effort in to bring their cars and bikes along.

As for constructive critisism, well, a more active input from the trucks would be good, e.g, truck pull, b-model drag race, (ok only kidding on that one) driver skills test, reversing, parking, driving through witches hats etc, and I was a bit disappointed in the final parade as many of the trucks had already buggered off. Also day two was a rerun of day one. Still this was only the second or third year? so a great turnout

I did hear a rumour that public liability insurance becomes a nightmare once the trucks become mobile though. So that takes a bit of fun out of things

Yeah, bloody insurance is ridiculous, and the restrictions on activities in relation to public proximity is so restrictive, it's hardly worth it. We have a steam and traction rally near here (Booleroo Centre) every couple of years, and any time there is a display of working machinery, the barricades are so far from the display, you nearly need binoculars. Except for the ploughing display between 2 massive steam tractors. Could see those monsters from the space shuttle.

Rob, I know when my parents go overseas, they have an "international" drivers licence which they organize here before they leave. Not having driven overseas I don't know the details, but I guess your local motoring organization could help. As for a car, I guess as has been said buying one would be best to see you round for 6 weeks or so, probably the cheapest option. I can't guarantee a drive of a road train, but a ride is pretty much ok, although I should have mentioned a round trip is about 11 hours!!! Maybe if you ask nice, you might get a steer up the road a bit, away from the authorities so to speak. And don't worry about driving here, pedals are in the same position, just opposite side of the car, along with the steering wheel. :D

Hi Chris, appreciate your insight to the upcomming trip. I can look into some sort of international license although I've never heard of it.

Don't think I'd want to drive a loaded truck on a road train. No experience with that much weight, length, equipment, or driving manners as a guest of country. Like when I'm troubleshooting automotive problems, I prefer to ride "shotgun", or in the passenger seat as can process more information when not having to negotiate roadways. Sure would hate to break someones livelyhood with inexperience or worse. Eleven hours on a road trip would be a short day for me so no worries.

It's been a few years but I used to work, repair, and rebuild postal service Jeeps, IH Scouts, and Rambler Ambassadors over here that were rt. hand drive. It really doesn't take much time to get used to them but the other side of the road consistently may have a little "learning curve" to it. The thought of a left turn from the left lane and remain in the left lane upon completion is opposite from what happens over here.

Thanks,

Rob

Hey, I like it!! Superb is a perfect description! If only the rest of the world was so perfect!!

Now I got to go eat a couple half gallons of ice cream for dinner as my wife will be too late at work to cook!

Rob

Wife got home from work a couple of hours after I had went to bed so I didn't get to see her at all last evening, but got an earful this morning. Seems she didn't like that I didn't leave her any Chocolate ice cream for the before bed "snack"! Well she had only left a little over a quart from the original gallon pail so what was I supposed to do besides finish it off? I mean that I had to suffer with seven "Philly Cheese Steak" sandwiches from the microwave for dinner and was not quite full yet as there was nothing else to eat. The sandwiches, the 1/2 gallon of vanilla, then the balance of her chocolate and I was in good shape for the rest of the evening.

After speaking with her at work, (Brians' Burger Barge) and discovering that she was going to be late, I decided to get ready to "turn in" for the night. I then cleaned up a little, put on a fresh night shirt, installed my anti snoring devices, (small chains that hook to my nostrils and earlobes as I sweat too much for adhesive products) and laid down for a fullfilling night of rest. Well a couple of hours go by, my wife gets home, and after coming to bed decides she has lost her nose ring someplace in bed. She gets the flashlight and proceeds to look around by my head and discovers that when a light is shined into my ears, my eyelids light up!! Of course she has to have a little "fun" with this but could not find the video camera. Ultimately she wakes me to locate the camera and "stage" the discovery for others to see and enjoy. Well, tough as it was to pry myself from my self generated sweat pool of saturation, and then endure the immediate chilling to my backside from the cool air, I located the camera but it had dead batteries! We didn't have spares so back to bed I went. Incidently, we did find her nose ring tangled in my armpit hair.

I did awaken about 3a.m. to take my evening "purge" but this is normal for a person my size. Trouble is, I forgot to flush the toilet, and when wife got up for hers; Well, you can guess the rest of the story......

I got less quality sleep than usual last evening.

Ahhhh, all is normal at Rob's house.

Rob

Hi Mis Knobby.

thanks for the feed back, your thourghts will be put forward for next years show. we may have to put back the grand parade earlyer next year as every one makes for the loading ramp when its empty.

i think a b model tug of war may also be a good one. it comes down to getting the trucks out of the shead, also we are a bit thin on the ground with members to look after events, movements etc.

thanks for the comments.

-Monty

Knobby and Mrs Knobby, from your photos of Dubbo, it looks as though at times we were in the almost the same spot at the same time!

Rob, if you make it down to Victoria I might be able to hook you up with a B-model drive. Also, I know a guy with a passion for IH Scouts so can accomodate you there too.

Monty, Dubbo was awesome! Great camaraderie throughout the show. I chatted with Ed briefly while whizzing around in Bruce Gunter's red Commer during the parade and he mentioned a couple of things he'd like to do better. There's always room for improvement but it was a truly excellent weekend.

Whatever rubs your buddah.

The Mack E Model Registry - 103 entries
The Mack A Model Registry - 14 entries

Knobby and Mrs Knobby, from your photos of Dubbo, it looks as though at times we were in the almost the same spot at the same time!

Rob, if you make it down to Victoria I might be able to hook you up with a B-model drive. Also, I know a guy with a passion for IH Scouts so can accomodate you there too.

Monty, Dubbo was awesome! Great camaraderie throughout the show. I chatted with Ed briefly while whizzing around in Bruce Gunter's red Commer during the parade and he mentioned a couple of things he'd like to do better. There's always room for improvement but it was a truly excellent weekend.

thanks mate good to hear the weekend went off for you. every one that i have spoken to and friends of friends that went also loved it, if you could muster up the items to make it better it would be greatly appreciated.

-Monty