E-7 Driver's Side 3 filters?

Go to solution Solved by hatcity,

I have a 99 Mack with an E7 and on the left side of the motor, the driver's side, there is a filter housing with three filters and one sensor with a 2 pin wiring harness into the casing right above one of them. One of the filters has a hose connecting it from the bottom of the filter to the block. The other two are just normal looking spin on filters. Another has a braided line connecting it from the casing right above it on the top of the housing up into the firewall and that has the words air brake written on it, but this is not an air dryer. The vehicle has a Bendix AD-9 system on it which I already changed the cartridge on. These filters on this truck are so old, there aren't any numbers or anything, but it seems like there's a leak. Anyone know what they are? What they go to? Anything about them? They are colored like the fuel filters but they are not the fuel filters as these are located on the right side framerail. They're not the coolant, not the PS, not anything like anything on a Cat or a Cummins or any motor I'm used to dealing with.

• Solution

OIL filters and the sensor is for oil pressure

To make sure you get the right ones, go to a MACK dealer, give VIN# and ask for a filter kit~$50

OR go to NAPA and get Baldwin #67 or bring them in

Oh, and welcome

• Like 1

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

There are guys there that do your maintenance and don't know what the three filters on the engine are for, wow. Yeah oil filters, two spin on one centrimax, got the numbers at home I can't remember em off the top o my head. 3191 oil maybe?

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I'm doing the maintenance now. The prior people, I can't speak for why they didn't take care of it. I can understand not knowing what something is because there are so few Macks around here that most of us don't know much about them and you barely even see them on the road, but at a certain point PM time should roll around and you go to order an oil filter and get a kit and match it up and figure it out, or you just try and figure out what it is because you should know, right? Apparently they had just been doing the fuel filters, so I ordered everything. Recommended they call the dealer to make sure they get the right ones at least the first time so I can get some part numbers to work from for aftermarket crossover.

I'm an International, Cat and Cummins person when it comes to motors, Eaton when it comes to trans, Dana or Rockwell for rears and so on...normal trucks, if you will, and normally I only handle 96 & newer. I can fully rebuild any of the aforementioned parts. I have no Mack experience whatsoever. None. Not even an oil change. I started in light duty and when I went to medium/heavy in 2005 I worked for a company that had 70% International, 10% Freightliner, 5% KW and 5% Petes. Went to a company with 60% Western Star and 20% each Pete and International. Went to another company and there are 2 Macks - the first I've ever seen. It's like starting over. Mack doesn't put out service manuals, they don't put out wiring diagrams. I have literally hundreds, maybe thousands, of documents - service manuals, TSBs, wiring diagrams, etc that I've collected over the years because I save everything, but all for everything but Mack. It's literaly like starting over from the beginning in some ways because they're just so different. These things even have split rims - I was like, really? Everywhere I'd worked before had long since gotten rid of them by 05 beacuse they're dangerous, but here they have the 2 Macks and 2 Ford mediums that are eligible for historic tags that have them, so again, never dealt with them before (though at least I knew what they were).

Careful, I had fuel filters for my '94 CH and figured they would work on my '99 CH, they looked the same, but the threaded opening was different. This could be possible on oil filters to I would think. A new filter kit from Mack is $50ish. This includes the two fuel filters, the three oil filters, and one coolant filter. I paid over $50 just for the two fuel filters at NAPA Auto. You may just as well get them from the dealer.