Mack B85f Tractors

heavyhauler

I wondered if anyone could provide some information on the following Mack B85F's with serial numbers 1462, 1463 and 1464. They were sold to the City of Philadelphia in 1962 but that's all the info I have. I believe that they replaced American LaFrance tractors and were mated with the American LaFrance tiller units which were equipped with 100 ft aerial ladders. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

John

Did you grab the one on e-bay. talked to matt on sat. and he said he might be bringing one home? I have a lot of contact's over the years , see what I can do. will be at MUNGUNIE this weekend, will you? ANGELO P.S. THATS MINE #1070 1957 B95

post-538-1213035504_thumb.jpg

Angelo:

Yea, I bought that one. It's an interesting story and, as usual, I want to put something together in a book form but talking to some of the folks at the museum in Philadelphia was helpful but I think I need to visit the museum in person. I'll post a picture. Yes, I'll be at Macungie with the Procter Mack. See you then! By the way, that's a nice B95!

Best regards,

John

B85F1464 is listed in the B model Registry,owned by a man in Ontario,Canada.

Yes, that is correct. It is owned by Wayne King, a friend of mine from Owen Sound, ON. You can see a picture of it in the ATHS Show Time 12th Issue. He found his in a scrap yard and it was in very poor condition. It may be that #1463 was scrapped but I don't know for sure and the Fire Museum in Philadelphia could not help. I also do not know how old the tiller units are-probably 50's vintage? Anyway, thanks for the tip, Superdog.

Regards,

John

OK JOHN, after many hours of reading threw my books and my matieral I found the almost complete history of your 1962B85/1950American la france that served PHILADELPHIA ladder 20!!! The rest you have to wait till this weekend. see you soon [tease] angelo :D

Who did you speak to at Fireman's Hall in Philadelphia? Was it Harry Magee or Jack Wright? Jack is the man you need to speak to, he is the "un-official" fire apparatus historian of the PFD. If you need his email address, let me know.

Also, goes without saying, you could also contact Harvey Eckert, renowned MACK (especially fire apparatus) historian. Harvey is an old country gent, has no computer, if you need his phone number, let me know.

I'm going to see what/if I can dig up for you.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Who did you speak to at Fireman's Hall in Philadelphia? Was it Harry Magee or Jack Wright? Jack is the man you need to speak to, he is the "un-official" fire apparatus historian of the PFD. If you need his email address, let me know.

Also, goes without saying, you could also contact Harvey Eckert, renowned MACK (especially fire apparatus) historian. Harvey is an old country gent, has no computer, if you need his phone number, let me know.

I'm going to see what/if I can dig up for you.

I spoke to Jack Wright and Jack Oswald although Harry McGee was also mentioned. The truck started at Ladder Co 20 and I think I'll fly into Phily for a weekend and show up at the fire house with photos and questions. Angelo wants me to take the truck to the main muster in Syracuse at the end of July and I may do that if I can arrange transportation. By the way, please provide contact info for all of those people that you mentioned in your reply. I will run them all down and see what info they have for me. Many thanks in advance.

Best regards,

John

I spoke to Jack Wright and Jack Oswald although Harry McGee was also mentioned. The truck started at Ladder Co 20 and I think I'll fly into Phily for a weekend and show up at the fire house with photos and questions. Angelo wants me to take the truck to the main muster in Syracuse at the end of July and I may do that if I can arrange transportation. By the way, please provide contact info for all of those people that you mentioned in your reply. I will run them all down and see what info they have for me. Many thanks in advance.

Best regards,

John

John: Whoa boy! Slow down there!!!

You dont want to just show up at a Philly station right now, especially un-announced and just after having flown in. For several reasons:

1. The PFD is a "newer" department. Many, many of the old timers are gone. I would say that 90% of the Vietnam Vets (and older) are long gone and retired. As a result, many newer guys have been hired within the last 10 years. If you were to walk into ANY station in the City and started asking questions about a "B" model Mack tiller, with the exception of a given few in the "Far Northeast" (read: "retirement home) sections of the city, they would look at you like you were from Mars.

2. The neighborhood where L20 is currently quartered (with Engine Co. 36) on Frankford Ave isnt the greatest. Isnt the worst, but not the best either.

3. Lots of bad karma in Philly firehouses right now. Wont go into specifics of why, but un-announced visitors may not be very welcome. Thats all I have to say in the pubic forum about that.

4. Many times, more often than not, guys in Philly could care less about the rigs. For most of the rank and file, they are "just a truck." As long as they go in pump gear and pump water, or the aerial device raises, thats enough for them. Pride in the apparatus is not as prevailant as it is within other departments. So again if you were to start asking about a long lost rig, they would look at you like you were from Mars, and tell you to go back to the loony bin you escaped from.

Bottom line is, I have lots of resources I can consult regarding your unit. Lets run them through the gauntlet. Do NOT just show up at L20's front door, you may get it slammed in your face. I am at work right now, so let me get home, and start researching.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

I did get the feeling that there were some problems and some hard feelings within the PFD when talking to the historians on a few Saturday mornings. And, yes, I was told matter-of-factly that they really did not care about old equipment that had been part of the department and had been passed on to another fire department. Anyway, I appreciate the heads-up. I'll sit tight until we can talk over the phone or meet in person.

Best regards,

John