New to me truck, with a few small(hopefully) issues

RedBullDog

Brought home a new to me 2001 Mack CH613 today. The setup is 460 xt, 18 speed mack trans, 4.42 mack rears on 38k camels, tall 24.5 rubber.

Issue 1, there is a fuel leak at the back cylinder under the little sheet metal covers on passenger side, the fuel line is tight but it leaks as if it was not. It leaves a puddle on the ground after idling for a few minutes.

Issue 2, The transmission makes a little gear clash type sound in the top gear but if I just ease the shifter over a little it is quiet, it acts like the shifer is too far to the left by a hair and causing it to ride against the shift fork or something.

Issue 3, The oil pressure gauge just sits at 45 psi, never up or down with oil and engine temp or engine speed, sender shot?

Also must need a thermostat, it ran 150 degrees for 380 miles home, bobtail.

So far, outside of these little things I love the truck, it feels solid on the road.

Edited by RedBullDog

You have yourself a great setup! The fuel leaking is more than likely the little plastic fuel return line. It comes from the front of the motor and goes down by the unit pumps under the stainless shield. You may need a thermostat, it is normal maintenance to change them once a year. Also check the nitrates in the coolant.

Update: The fuel leak is coming from the fuel line fitting, and it is pretty constantly dripping. By the looks of earlier posts it sounds like o rings on the ccrs body. How hard is it to pull the thing out for new orings? Do I need to have any special tools? Will also pick up Thermostat at dealer after Christmas. Thank you in advance, and Merry Christmas.

Edited by RedBullDog

Be sure to check that return line for rub through. The like to rub through on the unit pumps nut and it looks just like it's a unit pump leaking. I rerouted my return line. O rings are easy, where the return line goes back in there is a check valve, unscrew that to drain fuel out. Otherwise you will leak that fuel into the oil. Also I usually put new injector lines on if I take them off.

• 3 weeks later...