Hi, I have a 1958 B67T Mack with a 36" sleeper on it, there's a hole in the roof already, from what looks like was probably a roof unit it once had. I started looking for roof units, because I want to put air back in the truck (I live in Florida) and I came across Dometic 12 and 24 volt self contained units. I am familiar with the company because I helped my friend put one of their units on his Airstream, and it works great! HAs anyone had any experience with their 12/24 volt systems? It would make installing air so much easier if they work good. The website say's they are available all the way up to 13,000 BTU ! I would imagine that little Mack cab and 36" sleeper would turn into a freezer with a 13000 BTU unit! lol

post-6848-0-70825600-1408383803_thumb.jp

Who makes those?

I know Vintage air has one, but I was given a link to a place in Texas that has one a bit cheaper. Not quite as flashy looking box, but I don't need flashy. Link is at home, I'll get it posted.

The big issue I have to deal with is getting the compressor mounted. I need to move my original filter off the front right side of engine(likely move it to frame mounted bracket) and then fab something and drive it off the waterpump. Have to mount pulley to outside of stock waterpump pulley.

Checked into DCpowersales. One of the rooftop units was 330w, which equates to 27.5 amps at 12v. Wow, that will put a load on an alternator.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

That's why I'm looking at the self contained unit, where you don't have to mount a compressor, drier and condenser, it's all in the unit, my B67T has that doghouse right there under the dash, so no under dash unit fitting, and I can't put one on the floor between the seats on the floor, because of the sleeper.

Yup, the firewall is bad enough on a std B, I can imagine yours. Even with the smallest underdash, it will stick out about 6-7" past my dash. Livable since with the shifters there you can't do anything else with the space.

I have a vintage revolving light on the roof so no room for that kind of unit(though I thought of them and considered it).

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

We have one on a 70" sleeper for the sleeping system. It runs off of 4 12v batteries that charges up during the day and just runs on the batteries at nite When the batteries are new it will run for 8 hours in texas at nite and does a good job cooling the sleeper. works better and longer on up the east coast. As far as the unit goes, we put it on truck new in 2005 and one on another truck in 2009 and have done a good job and never had a problem with them other than battery replacements.

You might get a self-contained 24 volt roof mount unit, add two new 12 volt batteries and a new 24 volt alternator slave driven off wherever you can add a pulley. These babies draw quite bit of current so with this setup your a/c is completely independent from the rest of the trucks electrical system.

It is on a CXN Mack with the 70" high rise sleeper. We only use it to sleep in. The other one is on a 56" flat top sleeper it will last 10 -12 hours on the batteries on it. These are the older models system, I think the new models should do even better, but If you are going to have the truck running and charging the batteries I think it should do a good job. Running during the day we have a relay that charges the 4 additional batteries that run it when you shut the truck down. We run a 160 amp alt. We have not have a problem with them and they are used 4 nites a week in the spring thru fall. These Dometic are only 6000 or 7000 BTU units, I think the 13000BTU should do a great job, but you might have to put a higher amp alt.

• 2 weeks later...