Oil In A 673

h67st

Hello! Can someone tell me how much oil a '59 673 holds? Is it okay to run Rotella 15w-40 in this motor? It's only a play truck, I won't be pulling any loads with it. Thanks in advance!
If it has the big oil filter with 3 oil lines on the bottom i would use 32 qts and if it has the 500 luberfiner the maybe 28 qts. The 500 luberfiner will have 2 lines at the bottom. If it has the fullflow with 3 lines on it then when you change it fill it up to the top and bleed the air out when you start it. glenn Revised I dont know any more.

glenn akers

Interesting Glenn....I was told it held 24qt(6gal), so that's what I've always put in mine, which has fullflow filter in it. I've put 3 in the pan and 3 in the filter and started it. I've never heard of the "bleeding", but maybe that is why mine always takes a 5-8 secs to get oil pressure when I start it? This being my 7th year running it, it's never had any issues, but strange to hear this new information.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Interesting Glenn....I was told it held 24qt(6gal), so that's what I've always put in mine, which has fullflow filter in it. I've put 3 in the pan and 3 in the filter and started it. I've never heard of the "bleeding", but maybe that is why mine always takes a 5-8 secs to get oil pressure when I start it? This being my 7th year running it, it's never had any issues, but strange to hear this new information.
Well i am working on my membery so after while i will look at some old stuff if i ncan find. I know i am losing it but i will see.

glenn akers

Larry i go look and no find any real mack manuals that old but in the green motors book it show 15 qts and on one engine like the end 673y and 711 it shows 19 qts so then add you filter and i think nthe full flow takes 10 qts and the little 500 would maybe take 6qts. i am going to say i dont know for sure to keep from messing some one up.

glenn akers

I've always wondered if the full flow would "fill up" after you got it running? I've loosened the fill cap and nothing there, though never left if off for long. Maybe I should?

My dipstick was kinda screwy, so I remarked it after I put 3 gal in it(as full), then put 3 gal in filter. After a week or so sitting, it usually drains a bit back into pan and shows a bit overfull. I recheck after running a bit and it's at the full mark on stick.

I pulled out one of my original operator manuals and it says 15qt cap. So, just under 4 gal in pan, then I need to fill filter housing too?

BTW, ya I run Rotella 15w40 in mine.

Larry

I've heard about the bleeding elsewhere...it makes sense. I was a mechanic years ago and we even bled the luberfiners on the newer trucks.

Larry you need to bleed that filter for sure because that is too much air having to go thru the brg before the oil gets there.the best way to do it is with a funnel fill the filter and then bleed when you start but dont take the plug out when running. You can put the screw on base on that setup and get away from that filter but there is a check valve in the bottom that keeps the filter from draining back to the pan on your filter. I have put the screw on and oil cooler set up on a b61 engine before. My b61 has the three filter set up but it is a late model i think a 320 with a air/air on the front instead of the mack after cooler.

glenn akers

So I should fill the filter to the top, instead of just the 3 gal I put in first time. I don't think I can crank it enough to bleed it now? or should I?

That is why I never let mine fire right off, especially after sitting a week or so. I let it crank a few, then give it some throttle to kick it off.

Dave, I've run Rotella 15w-40 in mine for 7 yrs now and it's fine. Pulls 55psi running down the road, about 15-20 at hot idle. Doesn't burn hardly a drop all summer.

Larry

So I should fill the filter to the top, instead of just the 3 gal I put in first time. I don't think I can crank it enough to bleed it now? or should I?

That is why I never let mine fire right off, especially after sitting a week or so. I let it crank a few, then give it some throttle to kick it off.

Dave, I've run Rotella 15w-40 in mine for 7 yrs now and it's fine. Pulls 55psi running down the road, about 15-20 at hot idle. Doesn't burn hardly a drop all summer.

Fill filter to top and atart and then loosen the filler plug and let air out when running and that way you will not spin a rod brg.

glenn akers