Steering Wheel Removal

How do you remove a steering wheel from a b-61 without breaking the bakelite? I have removed many steering wheels before on other vehicles but not on a b61. There is no threaded holes for any type of puller under the horn button.I have tired to remove one with a 8" three jaw puller and ended up cracking the bakelite more(No problem because it is getting restored anyways). I have a fairly decent one that is still attached to the column and box and I want to remove it cleanly and keep for a future restore. Any suggestions?

How do you remove a steering wheel from a b-61 without breaking the bakelite? I have removed many steering wheels before on other vehicles but not on a b61. There is no threaded holes for any type of puller under the horn button.I have tired to remove one with a 8" three jaw puller and ended up cracking the bakelite more(No problem because it is getting restored anyways). I have a fairly decent one that is still attached to the column and box and I want to remove it cleanly and keep for a future restore. Any suggestions?

The correct puller for that type of wheel looks like a large"C" clamp that is modified to an open horizontal "C" section on the bottom to set flush against the underside of the steering wheel. The opening of the horizontal "C" has to have a throat large enough to slide over the diameter of the steering column.

The screw is then advanced to bear against the threaded shaft in the center of the wheel to force it from the shaft/splines.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Thanks I have seen some ideas on other websites for removal of a steering wheel from an older jeep, but i haven't come across and pics or tools that you are talking about. Do you have any pics or links to manufactures of the tool. I can make one if I could have a better visual of one. Thanks again.

If the top of the steering wheel has a steel reinforcing plate embedded in it, I don't see why you can't mark a couple of holes opposite each other, say at 3 and 9 o'clock with a center punch and drill them out about 1/2" deep and then tap them for 5/16" or 3/8" fine thread bolts. Then use a regular puller to get the wheel off.

An old trick I learned years ago was to tighten the puller down and then rap the end of the puller screw sharply to loosen the wheel. Adding some penetrating oil on the wheel splines to soak in prior to starting this will help also.

Good luck.

David

With due credit to Rob 22 Aug 07

Measure down 4 inches from the bottom of the steering wheel towards the dash and mark a line completly around steering column. Obtain reciprocating saw from toolbox and cut on line previously marked. Steering wheel comes right off effortlessly.

The solution is quite simple when you think about it.

Rob

I actually loosen the retainer nut till the top of the nut is flush with the ending of the column threads. I then place a large washer inside the steering wheel center, butt my knees against the wheel rim at the bottom while pulling at the top of the rim, and smack the washer with a hammer. The shock to the column usually breaks the wheel loose, and the retainer nut keeps you from eating the steering wheel.

Good luck!!

Proud owner of;

1961 Mack B61 prime mover.

1981 International ACCO 1810C DualCab Fire Truck

Rob

I actually loosen the retainer nut till the top of the nut is flush with the ending of the column threads. I then place a large washer inside the steering wheel center, butt my knees against the wheel rim at the bottom while pulling at the top of the rim, and smack the washer with a hammer. The shock to the column usually breaks the wheel loose, and the retainer nut keeps you from eating the steering wheel.

Good luck!!

Hi Rod, I usually use the method you mention as I'm usually to lazy to walk across the shop to get the correct puller. This way works so well, and consistently, there is hardly a need to obtain one.

The wheels are hardly ever "stuck for good".

Hope your air steering turned out alright!!

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Rob

Good luck!!

Hi Rod, I usually use the method you mention as I'm usually to lazy to walk across the shop to get the correct puller. This way works so well, and consistently, there is hardly a need to obtain one.

The wheels are hardly ever "stuck for good".

Hope your air steering turned out alright!!

Rob

I always used the 2 hammer method,with 2 people,and never seen it fail. Loosen the nut 'til it's flush with the end of the threads,have someone pull on the wheel hard as they can,hold one hammer on the end of the shaft and hit it hard as possible with another hammer,and the wheel usually pops free....usually

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

I have taken 2 others off with "the pushing up with your legs and smacking the wheel with a hammer method" but this one was corroded on there pretty good. I finally got it off after I drilled and tapped the holes for a steering wheel puller. Thanks for the added insight. I appreciate it!