This Is A Dreaded Mack ( Renault ) Quantum

I have posted a few times on here about our woes with our "Quantum". Luckily they never made it to the US ( probably tipped overboard on the way across the Atlantic). For those that are curious here are some pics. I know ThaddeusW wanted to see the engine bay.

As you can see not a very user friendly hybrid, especially the position of the compressor and clearance between front crossmember and sump.

And the 3rd last pic is enough to make any red blooded Mack man cry.

post-2107-1206609868_thumb.jpg

post-2107-1206609890_thumb.jpg

post-2107-1206609926_thumb.jpg

post-2107-1206609944_thumb.jpg

post-2107-1206609958_thumb.jpg

post-2107-1206609979_thumb.jpg

post-2107-1206609996_thumb.jpg

post-2107-1206610037_thumb.jpg

post-2107-1206610075_thumb.jpg

post-2107-1206610300_thumb.jpg

post-2107-1206610317_thumb.jpg

Wow that looks tight! To be honest, I like the look of the Renault cab. Its no Ultraliner but I suppose it served its purpose. Too bad the American truck makers never advanced their cabover designs like the Europeans did. I really like the look of those Euro trucks. I always try to picture what an advanced modern mack cabover would look like.

On another note Finnish truck maker SISU makes some really tough trucks and they use the same cab but with their own frame and axles. Renault and SISU had an agreement that SISU would distribute Renault trucks in Finland. SISU at one point used the Renault Premium cab and Mack engines in their trucks with Fuller or ZF gear boxes. So essentially you had something similar to the Quantum but with a really strong SISU frame and axles. SISU now uses the Renault DXi 13 (AKA Volvo D13) but still uses the Renault cab with a much nicer grille. They also have CAT options for big power but no more Eaton gear boxes only ZF.

Thanks for those pictures!

SISU R500 crane truck:

gallery_314_135_40209.jpg

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

I have to admit, when it was younger the ride was quite good, 4 airbag cab suspension with a shock absorber for each bag. Unfortunately the big let down is the front cab mount set up. A cantilever/scissor link type of arrangement with too many bushes to flog out, so ride quality starts to deteriorate badly, and the cab actually shifted to the left at one stage! ( because of our road camber with R/H drive). Would be ok on nice smooth European roads, but unfortunately like so many other euro imports, they underestimate or completely ignore our road conditions here. And to replace the mount link bushes is one major job. Cab has to be suspended in the down position from an overhead gantry.

As for SISU's, yes there are a couple in Australia I have seen used in mining/exploration work, 6 wheel drive variants from memory. Tough as you can get. I think one had a mini drill rig set up on it for core sampling, so was heavy and still running off road all its life. Think they might have been pre renault though as the cabs were like square boxes.

WOW! Mechanics really earn their pay fixing that rolling phone booth. :blink:

I can't imagine shifting with my left hand, gas pedal with my left foot, clutch with the right foot. Every once in a while I'll give the clutch a shove with my right foot and it feels completely un-natural.

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

I can't imagine shifting with my left hand, gas pedal with my left foot, clutch with the right foot. Every once in a while I'll give the clutch a shove with my right foot and it feels completely un-natural.

Nah, only the gear shift is different, accelerator, brake and clutch pedals are all still operated with the same feet. I did some work a while back for Hunt Energy (yep owned by Nelson Bunker Hunt) when they first started up over here, and they imported all their stuff from the oil field salvage yards in Odessa, Texas, so all the trucks were L/H drive, but pedals still the same. You're right though, takes some getting used to shifting with your opposite arm.

As chris said everything is pretty much the same. They just took the whole gauge cluster, pedals and steering wheel and moved it to the right side and mirrored the rest of the dash. The gear shift pattern is even the same as here in North America.

-Thad

Yeah, as I said in one of my earlier posts, Mack book time is 5 hours to REMOVE the sump.

What year model is it mate? The early ones were built on Renault cahssis rails and they were a nightmare. Weve got 2, one with an ISX Cummins in it and the other with a 410 Mack motor, and they are both on CH rails, and arent too bad to work on. Ours are 2004 and 2006 models respectively

What year model is it mate? The early ones were built on Renault cahssis rails and they were a nightmare. Weve got 2, one with an ISX Cummins in it and the other with a 410 Mack motor, and they are both on CH rails, and arent too bad to work on. Ours are 2004 and 2006 models respectively

I would love to see how they shoe horned an ISX into that chassis under that cab.

-Thad

This one is a 1999 model. Renault everything except the driveline. The air dryer let go during the week and, true to form, only available ex Mack for AU$925 plus tax. So I got a generic Wabco unit that looks almost identical to the original Knorr-Bremse unit and had to fit a D2 governor valve to the compressor as the Wabco dryer has it's signal port different. Job all done for under AU$600. And now when it dies again, (and it will) cheap generic parts to fix it.

The CH chassis would make life a whole lot easier. An ISX, what a dream......

• 8 months later...
I have posted a few times on here about our woes with our "Quantum". Luckily they never made it to the US ( probably tipped overboard on the way across the Atlantic). For those that are curious here are some pics. I know ThaddeusW wanted to see the engine bay.

As you can see not a very user friendly hybrid, especially the position of the compressor and clearance between front crossmember and sump.

And the 3rd last pic is enough to make any red blooded Mack man cry.

what a disgusting mess of an engine bay!!!!!!

don't you know what degreaser is??

i drive a quantum as well....great to drive and ride in and yes it has a EA7 engine....but with an 18 speed autoshift behind it.

i take pride in what i drive and i do my best to look after it.

im guessing from your negative comments you don't like the quantum??....so why buy it in the first place???....why not sell it if your not happy with it??

cheers

the hulk

i drive a quantum as well....great to drive and ride in and yes it has a EA7 engine....but with an 18 speed autoshift behind it.

im guessing from your negative comments you don't like the quantum??....so why buy it in the first place???....why not sell it if your not happy with it??

cheers

the hulk

gee... :(

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

cheers

the hulk

Hulk, one must keep in mind that only the owner of a truck or piece of equipment has to be pleased with it's service or upkeep as they see fit. You have no right to criticize or condemn anyone, or anything that does not belong to you. We do not invite that type of participation on this board. Positive comments, or a relay of problems and how to avoid them, are most welcome, (of course) as are restoration/upkeep tips.

You are most welcome to this board and are welcome to participate, but do not post insults to other persons equipment.

I know from past experience that I speak for the vast majority of the participants here.

Personally, I think a Mack Quantum is as attractive as siamese twins conjoined at the ears with red hair, but that is my opinion and does not relate to anyones personal property.

Auschris has been a valued contributor to this site for quite some time. I hope you will be also!!

By the way, Welcome.

Rob

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

i would drive it with pride, not every truck has to have a hood on it, i love cab overs and im glad our european and australian brothers still produce these trucks

I've never driven one of course, but I don't see a thing wrong with the looks of it. I used to like a cabover too, but I haven't driven one for so long I don't know if I could keep one out of the ditch now :unsure:

The first truck I ever drove was an old F Model. The driving school had it and it was fun to drive. I got my first driving job pulling bulk tanker with a IH Transtar. I've always liked Cabovers but it was the fuel mileage thing that kept me out of one since I became an owner operator. The trucks in the pictures look like they may get decent fuel mileage. You guys have any figures on that. Just curious........One of the trucks in the pics would look cool pulling a set of Fed Ex doubles!!!!!

My 'ol dog has a bite worse than it's bark!!!!!!!!

Ummmmm....Is this the number I dialed????????

The first truck I ever drove was an old F Model. The driving school had it and it was fun to drive. I got my first driving job pulling bulk tanker with a IH Transtar. I've always liked Cabovers but it was the fuel mileage thing that kept me out of one since I became an owner operator. The trucks in the pictures look like they may get decent fuel mileage. You guys have any figures on that. Just curious........One of the trucks in the pics would look cool pulling a set of Fed Ex doubles!!!!!

First truck I drove was a '74 Transtar, then a '78 Astro, then another '74 Transtar, then a '77 F-model, 79 F-model...now it's 30 years later-wtf?!!

My cousin and his dad have 4 trucks running from Portugal to Spain loaded bouth ways, one way real heavy they do about 8 to 9 mpg, but keep in mind that there trucks are limited at 80kmp @ 55mph, they pull flats with 1 volvo 2 scanias and 1 daf

Funny you mention that as I heard that Daimler is testing cabovers here in the USA. The reason is they were getting better fuel mileage with them. Dont know how true it is but I wouldn't be surprised if we see a MB Actros with a DD15 and Fuller gear box driving dana/meritor axles.

-Thad

What year model is that mate? Its a CCRS by the look of the filters, but it seems very low in the rails. The early ones were built on the Renault chassis and were a bastard of a thing- try doin a compressor. Weve got 2 later model ones and theyre on the CH rail, and seem to sit up a bit better. Skip

gee... :(

first of all.....

yes i have the right to speak my mind (i live in a free country where we say how we feel)

we also believe in constructive critism in whatever form that may take.

the truck i drive is not owned by me....i mearly drive it and keep it presentable most of the time.

i have the responsibility of maintaining this vehicle's appearance as it is a company truck.

if someone doesn't like my comments then you don't hafta read them...it's your choice.

i have also started a new thread on this website open for any and all comments about these trucks irrespective of creed, colour or religion.

cheers

the hulk