Bring Back The R Model

Mack3P/Barry

What is the chance of bringing back the R model cab as class 5-7 truck. Mack doesn't have a contendor in this range. The design start up cost would be minimal. This would still be a modern looking cab. This would solve the R model cab parts for well into the future. There are after market companies producing R and RD hoods. Maybee I'm nuts but I think this would be a winner.

I hate to break it to you but Mack already has a light/heavy duty class 7/8 truck that is produced in Australia called the Metroliner. It is powered by a cummins ISC and has Allison and Eaton transmission options with Meritor axles on Hendrickson suspensions. It is mainly setup as a short 106" BBC mixer truck chassis with a 14.6k twin steer option and tandem rears to 46K. My money is they bring it here to the states following the Titan. The new Metroliner hasn't been unveiled in Australia so we have to wait to see what it looks like. Hopefully the hoods look allot better then the previous generation.

Its pretty much a Mack CH cab with a short sloped hood sorta like the Kenworth T300.

Two twin steer Metroliners:

mack_metroliner_8x4.jpg

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Mack3P/Barry

What is the chance of bringing back the R model cab as class 5-7 truck. Mack doesn't have a contendor in this range. The design start up cost would be minimal. This would still be a modern looking cab. This would solve the R model cab parts for well into the future. There are after market companies producing R and RD hoods. Maybee I'm nuts but I think this would be a winner.

Well, I am drawing some scketches on my PC of what could be the next MACK R series model. Mack ended the R Model Saga with the RD LEGEND SERIES. If MACK kept the R model on its production line we could have seen it updated with those "slanted windows" , "M' style "grill", Bushguard fender flares, New lights , redesigned front end....But you know...thanks to Sweden Volvo for killing Mack's top work Dog.

• 7 months later...
Mack3P/Barry

I have purchased in the past, hoods from Jones Performance Hoods. They seem much stonger and more durable than the stock OEM hoods

Cummins? and Eaton? That's not a MACK!!! That's a bunch of knok offs in disguise.Thats like saying you have a ford powerstroke,nope you have a international. same with dodge and chevy. Pretty sad you can't have a pedigree or in other words A GOOD TRUCK ANYMORE!!!!!!!! :angry:

Well Mack does not have a small displacement engine and that model is Australian. In Australia they don't like vendor components that much because trucks and parts are very expensive (all parts are imported!). So since the Spicer/Meritor/Fuller stuff is almost universal, parts can easily be had. Hell you used to be able to buy a Volvo FH16 with an ISX, Fuller 18 speed and Meritor axles. Of course the europeans didnt like that so they cut those options and pushed their running gear onto everyone once they got their foot in the door.

If the Metroliner does make it to the US they could try and shoe horn an MP7 in there. Or they could just stick with an ISC/ISL, Fuller gear box and mack axles/suspension.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

I hate to break it to you but Mack already has a light/heavy duty class 7/8 truck that is produced in Australia called the Metroliner. It is powered by a cummins ISC and has Allison and Eaton transmission options with Meritor axles on Hendrickson suspensions. It is mainly setup as a short 106" BBC mixer truck chassis with a 14.6k twin steer option and tandem rears to 46K. My money is they bring it here to the states following the Titan. The new Metroliner hasn't been unveiled in Australia so we have to wait to see what it looks like. Hopefully the hoods look allot better then the previous generation.

Its pretty much a Mack CH cab with a short sloped hood sorta like the Kenworth T300.

Two twin steer Metroliners:

mack_metroliner_8x4.jpg

ThaddeusW,

The MetroLiner 8x4 has front and rear axle airbag suspension (rear available as a option - standard rear suspension is the HN402 Hendrickson Rubber Block Suspension) - the front suspension is what is referred to by Hendrickson as "Parasteer" and the rear suspension is either HAS400/460/461! The spec sheet for the new MetroLiner are available from me on request - on the first page is the new breed MetroLiner! Axle layouts are 6x4 (spring front suspension) 8x4 and 10x4 (load-share airbag front suspension; airbag lifting lazy axle on 10x4).... the 10x4 is aimed at the concrete mixer (agitator) market!

Joe

PS: The trailer that these two MetroLiners are on belong to Andrew Print Transport, a leading authority on truck transportation! To find out more about APT, visit Andrew Print Transport - by the way, the only reason I gave this link is because Andrew actually has Macks in his fleet!

Edited by Joe Hupp

Well Mack does not have a small displacement engine and that model is Australian. In Australia they don't like vendor components that much because trucks and parts are very expensive (all parts are imported!). So since the Spicer/Meritor/Fuller stuff is almost universal, parts can easily be had. Hell you used to be able to buy a Volvo FH16 with an ISX, Fuller 18 speed and Meritor axles. Of course the europeans didnt like that so they cut those options and pushed their running gear onto everyone once they got their foot in the door.

If the Metroliner does make it to the US they could try and shoe horn an MP7 in there. Or they could just stick with an ISC/ISL, Fuller gear box and mack axles/suspension.

ThaddeusW,

In Australia, Volvos were offered with the choice of Cummins N14 (precursor to the Signature) or Signature power up to 580hp, Eaton RoadRanger on conventionals and Volvo VT2514B 14 speed overdrive on cabovers and the rest of the gear was Volvo.... airbag and what we call 6-rod suspension, drive axles, steer axles, etc. These models were known as the NH14/15 and the FH15 - the displacements of the Cummins engines made the model number, which is just like the Volvo models, the NH12/FH12/FH16!

You do seem to know a bit about Volvos..... what do you do for a living???

Joe