DEF Tank filters

DEF has got me sitting at home now. I broke down Thursday and had to drop the trailer and bobtail back to the shop, got the springs and air bag fixed, left again Sunday. When I left Carter Lumber in New Castle to go pick up a load in McKees Rocks Monday morning the red "low DEF" light came on in the DEF gauge-but the gauge still showed almost 3/4 full, which was right. I stuck a piece of wire in the tank to make sure it had fluid in it, which it did, and all that accomplished was losing the top off the tank. Apparently I didn't get it back on there right, so I had to cover it with duct tape.

Then after a while the check engine light came on and it derated itself, but it was still going. And using the DEF, because I filled it to the top at the Pilot, which didn't help either, and I could see the gauge moving. Then I stopped at the Mack/KW dealer in Jane Lew and got a new breaker and put it in, which didn't help either. Then I stopped at the Go-Mart in Nettie and got 2 slices of pizza, a drink, and a pack of smokes-that didn't help it either. In fact, it made it worse. When I started to leave the engine with the red circle around it lit up on the dash. Couldn't get over 4mph. after that, even when I dropped the trailer again and tried to bobtail- 4mph, tops.

So I spent 18 hours on the side of the road in Levaisy, West Virginia waiting for a wrecker. We don't have any spare trucks now, so I had to wait until unit 21 got in, he runs to Baltimore and back every night, and they sent me that truck to get the load back to Lynchburg.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

DEF,,,thiers another piece a crap,,,they snuck in there,,,with no ones approval,and no ones quite sure who absorbs the exta cost,,,but im sure its not the allmighty government,,with california,s truck friendly engines,,,we,ve had to make a buncha changes at my place...be losing my 07 kenworth soon,,,dont know what ill wind up with yet...bob

Had a new 2015 CHU in our shop on Monday and the DEF guage would not work. After spending all day on it we finally found that the Turbo actuator had a short in the J-1939 communication line and was somehow affeccting the DEF guage. Turbo/actuator was working fine and no low power complaint but that was a hard one to figure out.