MH heater motor

They're under the passenger seat tale the seat and top off the heater box and you'll see them should be 2 side by side I don't remember having to remove any duct work. I put a heater in the compartment under the bunk on the MH I had because I found the factory heat ok for the passenger and the defrost with 2 fans up in the windshield, but the floor of the drivers side was cold an extra heater behind the seat made it toasty. But your factory heater motors are under the passenger seat. Hope this helps.

They're under the passenger seat tale the seat and top off the heater box and you'll see them should be 2 side by side I don't remember having to remove any duct work. I put a heater in the compartment under the bunk on the MH I had because I found the factory heat ok for the passenger and the defrost with 2 fans up in the windshield, but the floor of the drivers side was cold an extra heater behind the seat made it toasty. But your factory heater motors are under the passenger seat. Hope this helps.

If I remember right they are mounted on a frame in front of the heater core and A coil for the AC. You'll need to unbolt that frame from the heater box and remove the 2 motors as an assembly. You should be able to match them up aftermarket if Mack doesn't have them.

Been a few years since I worked on one of those heaters, I don't remember it being too bad to work on worst part will be getting the old squirrel cage off the motors they should be steel most of the time you end up replacing them to because they are always seized on.

As stated above, they are located under the passenger seat. According to the parts book, the blower housing needs to be removed and then the squirrel cages. The motors attach to a frame. Motor part number is 4379 RD556261 (need 2).

There is a third motor located in the RH storage compartment under the sleeper. The motor PN is 4379 RD553100.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

I have the seat and cover off my 1989 and there are 2 screws along side the panel next to the dog house. Those screws are at the top and I did not see anything holding the bottom into place. Boths fans are attached to that side panel. Let us know how you make out getting them out.

EDIT: Are you sure the motor is bad? I don't think both fans operate at the same time all the time.

I did get the frame with the heater motors out. FYI. There are 2 screws down low in the front of box that hold duct work together. Now all I need to do is get the squirrel cage off the motor shaft. Allready have the set screw out and sprayed shaft with PB blaster. Keep you updated if you like

Remember if it's got a hood it's no good!

LOL. I would gladly take pics. But I am severely electroincly challeneged. I admire those of you who post pics of cool things. The Ex set up our website. That's why that doesn't get updated as often as it should. I have a big computer, scanner, digital camera. Now if I can figure out how to make them talk to each other. :tease:

Got the heater motor in. PHEW!!! International had the motor and resistors. No one had the squirrel cage. So, a little heat and prying we saved the old one. Went to northern N.H wed at minus 10. Had frost on the inside of cab, froze my feet!! Just ordered an MH book on heater/ac. Hopefully that will shed some light on the subject. Not quite ready for the Ice Roads yet

I found out that my fresh air vent door was stuck closed on my MH. I thought that was odd since it fails open and the truck had sat for about 10 years. Maybe you should check yours since the outside air would force air through the heater core. The fresh air vent door is in the portion of the heater box closest to the passenger door and it is hinged on the side next to the doghouse. If you turn on your key and have air built up you should hear the dampers change postions as you cycle through the different vent control positions and you can see the fresh air door if you are looking down into the heater core area. Here is a diagram out of my "Climate Control System" book for you until yours arrives.

EDIT:The diagram is on it's side but click on the view tab after it opens and you can rotate it clockwise to read it.

MHvent.pdf

Yeah the fresh air vent is in a stupid spot on them getting fresh air off the right front steer tire. So when you drive in dusty places it blows all the dust in the cab. Make sure that door is able to open and close it will make a difference. And yes parts for the heaters in an MH are not the easiest to come by so a guy wants to grab up any bone yard parts out of those MH cabs you think you might need someday.

There's another problem with the "MH" heater system that I encountered years ago which is losing air getting into the cab.

The ductwork going into the cab runs on the outside under the floor above the R.H. steering tire.

The air actually leaves the inside of the cab from the heater/A.C. box and travels in a duct under the floor and re-enters the cab at the very front of the cab

on the R.H. side.

There it bolts up to another duct above the floor with the floor sandwiched in between.

The duct on the bottom is double wall blow molded plastic with threaded inserts in the hollow parts on the top, that's why you won't see the nuts under the floor.

There is a gasket between the floor and this duct along with a gasket that seals the inside duct to the floor.

If these are deteriorated along with the gasket where the snout on the blower motor assembly enters the duct going under the floor you can lose an awful

lot of your heat and or A/C out to the outside.

I don't know whether I'm bragging or crying, but through the years we operated them I became quite intimate with them!

Ron

R

That's good to know. I did replace both resistors and blower motors. Now im trying to get air to the drivers side floor. I will check the duct work again. Bought a book on MH heater/A.C. Only problem its for 86 and up. Mine is 85. The book covers the 2 lever air control where as my 85 is a 3 lever cable over electric control. Learning as we go.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update. All your info was very helpful, along with the Climate Control manual. The door in the heater pleumun that divereted the air from floor to defrost was in the wrong position and the control cable was broke. Im going to rig up something here for a cable that will work that door. As the dash controls don't seem to move the cables enough. Thanks again for of your input :notworthy:

That's good to know. I did replace both resistors and blower motors. Now im trying to get air to the drivers side floor. I will check the duct work again. Bought a book on MH heater/A.C. Only problem its for 86 and up. Mine is 85. The book covers the 2 lever air control where as my 85 is a 3 lever cable over electric control. Learning as we go.

Suggestion Russell: Go to Home Depot, buy a propane salamander and a 100 lb.'er, lay it (the tank,) in the bunk and the salamander pointed at you on the doghouse, and you'll have all the heat you'd ever need!

A friend of mine bungied a propane tank and salomander in the passenger seat of his 77 international Coe years ago when he had heater trouble and was waiting for parts to get it fixed. He said it roasted him out of there and he had to keep a rag to wipe the windshield because it kept sweating so bad. He figures all the trucks meeting him on the highway probably wondered what the orange glow in the passenger side was at night.

LOL. Nah, I think I get it fixed. Either that or ill buy a winter bomb truck maybe say a truck with a hood. That way I could put a wood stove in it just cut a hole in the roof for a pipe. After all, its just a convential :loldude: