Amercain Lafrance

MADDOG93

That is a shame. Not that the current company was even a fraction of the old, but it was a tremendous brand.

One of the best rigs I ever had the pleasure to wheel was a 1976 American LaFrance Century pumper. The original Millwood, NY E247. It had a Detroit 8v71 that was loud and proud. It was fast, always started, and would maintain a draft if in worst of conditions.

I'd love to know if it survives to this day.

The other ALF pleasure in my life was the 1924 ALF Brockway Torpedo that while in college I took an interest in and convinced the Millwood Fire Company to have restored at Lady & Taylor in Heidlersburg, PA. It is one of the finest existing examples of their early work.

Others include Hastings On Hudson NY's Century tiller, Biglerville, PA's refurb end FDNY pumper, East Berlin PA's Torpedo and so many more.

Ed Smith

1957 B85F 1242 "The General Ike"

Pierce and Seagrave have what most consider the best products out there. Sutphen, KME, HME, Ferrara, and E-One are also large manufacturers. Then there are regionals and mom and pop shops out there too... Crimson, Rosenbauer, SVI, Alexis, Smeal, Spartan ERV.

Smaller shops like Gowens-Knight still turn out great truly custom products.

Ed Smith

1957 B85F 1242 "The General Ike"

What a shame.

My 'other' favorite make of fire apparatus. I still regard the 700 series to be the quintessential mid-20th century fire engine. Simply classic, ahead of its time styling.

They were bucking the status quo with the pump panel on the right side.

It actually made more sense in this country, where it had the operator on the same side as the curb, away from traffic.

I've always really liked their styling, even the current models; the only rig to stand out in a world of look-alike boxes. Their quality has also kept up to their high standards, not like several modern fall-apart rigs that are out there *cough* Pierce...

ALF has gone under before. Maybe they'll make another comeback.