Chevy Silverado 1500/5.3L aftermarket air intake question

1958 F.W.D.

Don't waste your money. The oils mess up your map sensor s if not applied correctly. Spend the same money and get it tuned by black bear performance, Nelson, or westers. I recommend the first. He tuned my gmc6.0 and it runs hard. He tuned my neighbors 5.3 and he is getting around 20mpg with it. Way more bang for buck.

• Like 1

Momack thanks for the reply, I will give them all a looksee. I'm not too concerned with performance, I want MPG's. Right now I all I am getting on average is 13.5 to 14.5 or 15 if my right foot behaves. I do have about 300 lbs in sandbags over the drive axle for winter traction. Would love to see 16-17, anything over that is BONUS!!!! I was toying around with the idea of one of these cold air intake kits but have had more than one person (yourself included) tell me not to, and instead invest in something like a MagnaFlow Super 40 Cat Back exhaust kit. Do you have any experience with this or something similar?

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Can't help with the Chevy stuff but with the price of fuel, I can understand the mpg aspect. The plug in computer tuners are probably the best bang for the buck.

Fords maybe as welcome as Deetroits but I was pretty happy after buying a new 2011 F250 Super Duty 4X4 6.2 ltr.gas 385 hp and it got 18 mpg hwy in stock form.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

I have a K&N on my duramax and it improved my mileage buy 1.5 mpg, I spent about $85 on sale and have had it on now for about 3 years no problems with it and bought the oil kit too. Since it is reusable I like that and it is easy to clean with warm soap and water.

The cat back system is pretty good choice, a friend has it on truck and seems happy with it. He has an off brand air filter set up from o'riellys that is like the k&n, I am sure it increased the mileage as they are supposed to guarantee fuel gains with out a tuner. I would think between the two you could get 3-5 MPGs that's not asking for much.

As far as the MAP and EGR sensors, they should be cleaned every 15-20K or at least annually, they sell a sensor cleaner that you can use takes about 15 minutes.

• Like 1

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

On the diesel the air cleaners work good. The gas trucks not so much. Exhaust helps but best bang for buck is the reprogramming. Don't waste your money on a hand held programmer. Use someone who programs with EFI live. I've done the others and was not impressed. Gas motors program way different than the diesels. You might only gain 25HP with the tune on the gas. You will notice the mpg improvement if you can keep your foot out of it. If you tune with the intake and exhaust you will have the best gains. But if you are on a budget the tune alone is the best money spent.

I had an 01 Tahoe with a 5.3 and I had a K&N air raid intake and a MBRP exhaust. I never had any troubles with it. I sold it two years

ago with 113,000 on it and the same guy still has it running everyday. I could usually get anywhere between 15 to 17 mpg around town

and once got 20mpg on a trip to Georgia (all highway miles). I bought a 2011 Silverado 1500 4 door 4x4 with the 6.2 in it and I have been

getting 15 to 17 with it stock. I have been very happy with this truck.