2001 Vision E7 Etech Issues

bigdawg

Hi, All.

New to BMT lots of useful info here. I have a perplexing problem, has me scratching my head. 2001 E7 Etech 355/380hp , with jake brakes .started losing power like a fuel filter about a week ago, changed filter. No real change in power loss, truck is blowing more black smoke like a possible turbo issue. Truck is giving a fault code 69/ j1939 link other device affecting ecu operation. Yesterday truck started to miss at when pulling empty trailer. Once driver made it in truck was idling and revving up fine, thou at 1800 or so rpm it would pop and blow grayish black smoke extremely violently. upon letting off the throttle engine will recover and run normally. I was sick so i parked it and fired the truck up again today, being cold I cannot get it to recreate the violent pop. Removed the inlet to the turbo charger there is some slop in the shaft , have not yet checked the boost pressure I have to get a gauge. Only other noticeable issues cylinder 1 and 3 are leaking unburnt fuel from the exhaust manifold possible faulty injector. Has me confused though cause the truck will not create the issue when its cold.

Fuel supply pump ,gear is slipping on shaft need to remove and inspect . Easy to replace only 2 bolts , if pump checks ok look at fuel return check valve or restiction on fuel inlet side . My bet is on the supply pump though.

OK , removed inspected fuel supply pump gear is tight pump seems to be functioning. Removed fuel lines check for collasped lines , using a clean bucket of fuel with a good line bypassing the ones being checked. Same issue, seems to be getting worse even when im testing it , not as violent now, just works into a miss and spews white/grayish smoke , must have a bad turbo. Any thoughts? Thanks staxx.

Check out the return line check valve this is were the pressure is made. Its a fitting below the # unit pump in the side of the block . Unhook the line , leave check valve in block pump the hand primer if fuel returns = comes out valve without building psi it is no good.

Well, new turbo, 2 new injectors, new check valve, and no power. Boost is at 24-25 psi under load , no more leaking injectors truck with an empty trailer flat ground (south la) grossing 32000lbs cant make 60. Fuel filter Davco 382 processor has air bubbles , tested in a bucket with another hose no bubbles. New hose is being made now , maybe the pickup is bad could figure out how to test without a new hose. Truck doesnt smoke anymore , does miss a little in the top holes, I think because its sucking air. We shall see.

Need to figure out how the exhaust side turbo fins got cooked, any exhaust leaks or boost leaks. Do you have a pyro gauge and if so what the temp at full load? What was wrong with the injectors you replaced did the tip split or just bad spray patterns. Have we put a fuel psi gauge on it yet to see what psi we have in 5th gear? Have seen a few mufflers fall apart inside blocking flow causing high temps and low power.

Need to drive the truck or dyno the truck with a tech watching the parameters with a laptop. Need to make sure its at in the computer 100% load full throttle ,see if anything is derating engine power. How did you check for boost leaks? Need to use a air puck on inlet of charge air cooler and check entire engine air compressor intake line and hoses intake manifold gaskets etc. The 355/380 need all the air they can get even a small intake manifold gasket leak can big performance issues .

Need to drive the truck or dyno the truck with a tech watching the parameters with a laptop. Need to make sure its at in the computer 100% load full throttle ,see if anything is derating engine power. How did you check for boost leaks? Need to use a air puck on inlet of charge air cooler and check entire engine air compressor intake line and hoses intake manifold gaskets etc. The 355/380 need all the air they can get even a small intake manifold gasket leak can big performance issues .

many times I have found boost leaks that someone else failed all due not pressuring the system up to the heads. If you pressure it to the heads you can turn the engine slow and seal the flow on all cylinders at one time at some point. May be exhaust closed on one cyl and intake close on another but this is true with all brand engines.Never blowed a stem seal yet.You can catch a lot of things by monitoring the system while driving.

glenn akers

Ok, shop took it charged me 1300 changed a few sensors and put computer on it duchange . I have it back made a puck tested for turbobleaks, found none. Not the slightest. Tested fuel pressure 70 psi. Runs 100 mph no trailer, empty trailer and cant make 60 . Tried to make it throw some smoke shifting fast like at 800 or 1k rpm no smoke, must not be getting fuel im lost.