Bouncy Bouncy

redman

ive got a 97 ch613 with 46k rears on hendrickson walking beam suspension. my problem is the tandems bounce between 60 & 70 mph.had it to a shop and they say everything [ bushings, springs] are fine. i can see them bounce in the mirror, so its no little thing. its shaking my truck apart, i need help...............thanks

ive got a 97 ch613 with 46k rears on hendrickson walking beam suspension. my problem is the tandems bounce between 60 & 70 mph.had it to a shop and they say everything [ bushings, springs] are fine. i can see them bounce in the mirror, so its no little thing. its shaking my truck apart, i need help...............thanks

hey redman ,what condition are your tyres like,recap or cleanskins?check your tyres for ply seperation (big lumps in the tread or side wall)does it have shocks???adrian

hey redman ,what condition are your tyres like,recap or cleanskins?check your tyres for ply seperation (big lumps in the tread or side wall)does it have shocks???adrian

ive got either michelin or goodrich lug recaps all around. no shocks on a walking beam. iam permitted to pull 125k lowboy and they still bounce.hop or whatever..............

A small amount of water in a tire will cause it to bounce at high speed go away then bounce again. It took 80K miles for me to discover water in them, new drives no more hop.

Yea I have the same problem. I put 8 brand new drives on mine, albiet the next to cheapest ones, but they shimmy. The crappy mis-matched ones that I took off ran smooth as can be. $2400 for square tires.

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

I've never seen this done before but the "Bandag" retreader in my locale mounts up the casing after tread removal to find the light spot on a balance machine. I'm told he had the rim blanks balanced true for this purpose. He then marks the light spot, dismounts the tire, and retreads it placing the new tread seam just over the prior marked spot on the casing. The seam is a little heavier than the tread so it balances better.

I've spoken with several persons that buy capped tires there and most are extremely pleased. I plan to also for my trucks. I don't remember anyone telling of a balance or hop problem at speed.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I bought a set of 8 first time bandag recaps about two years ago, after running them for about 2000 miles my truck started to shake at a certain speed. So i pulled it in the shop jacked it up and started spinning the tires by hand sure enough one of the had a wobble side to side that was about a half inch or more, i like recaps but that one tire had problems in the side wall or something put on another tire and all was fine just a bad tire. I have bought many others since and no trouble from them yet.

• 2 months later...

Do you still have this problem or have you found the problem? I have had similar issues and have reduced the problem by shimming my axle torque rods out. They must have been replaced and where not long enough. It seems to have changed the geometry of the axles and would not allow the axles to travel freely which caused the truck to hop. I'm still fine tuning this problem. If you found out something, please let me know.

• 4 weeks later...

If all else failes try the centrimatic balancers I have them on all the way around and she's as smooth as glass, however my truck is a road tractor and has virgin rubber. The centrimatic balancers cost about $165.00 per axle. one more thing have the wheels spin balanced first I got ahold of a set of aluminium rim that were almost 18 ounces out of balance and the cantrimatics can only handle 16ounces. So I had to have the rim/tire prebalanced and the shop didn't think it would work, I've had no problems and that was in october of 06. Good luck.

Edited by mackdaddy1911a1

THE GREATEST NAME IN TRUCKS

MACK TRUCKS