"The Beast" 1960 B61 Wrecker FINALLY DRIVING

agreed, im not the best, I can do carpenter work, built houses for 13 years but love truck. don't claim to be a truck driver either, wasn't stepping on anyones tail either but if it doesn't fit, don't jam it, its made to slide in gear with ease. with a little practice, some double clutchin and some work with the throttle pedal he can shift it with ease

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

:SMOKIE-RT:

Cut the guy some slack-it isn't as easy to pick up as you think,as you said,especially if you have to unlearn the synchro habits. I'm still "unlearning" my bad habits,and I'm getting better at the twin-stick-shuffle,but it'll take miles and hours to ever get GOOD at it. I notice I start off an absolute novice at it each day,but get sorted a little quicker each day. Still haven't worked up the skill for a successful two-handed shift;I think if I get decent tires and alignment on the ol' 54 GMC it'll make it much easier-the truck won't make a right turn every time I loosen my grip on the steering wheel. I can't use the "arm through the wheel" trick because either the shifters are too far away,or my arms are too short. Driving a two stick truck is STILL the most fun you can have with your clothes on,IMHO. Keep on driving it and you'll master it.

Speed

:SMOKIE-LFT:

• Like 1

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

Cut the guy some slack-it isn't as easy to pick up as you think,as you said,especially if you have to unlearn the synchro habits. I'm still "unlearning" my bad habits,and I'm getting better at the twin-stick-shuffle,but it'll take miles and hours to ever get GOOD at it. I notice I start off an absolute novice at it each day,but get sorted a little quicker each day. Still haven't worked up the skill for a successful two-handed shift;I think if I get decent tires and alignment on the ol' 54 GMC it'll make it much easier-the truck won't make a right turn every time I loosen my grip on the steering wheel. I can't use the "arm through the wheel" trick because either the shifters are too far away,or my arms are too short. Driving a two stick truck is STILL the most fun you can have with your clothes on,IMHO. Keep on driving it and you'll master it.

Speed

I agree. I drive my MH infrequently so I have to "re-learn" how to shift a non-sync tranny each time I drive. In my opinion, the only way to learn to shift correctly is to watch the tach (know your shift points - hi and low rpm) and PRACTICE! Check your clutch adjustment and keep practicing. Like other have said, don't force the shift.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

The compound sides shift quicker because of the closer ratio's,but just driving that truck in the main you sure as heck aren't gonna "quick" shift it.I wish him luck and hope he takes the time to learn it.I taught myself how to drive on a B61(knowing the basic theory)and I remember at times thinking there's NO way it can be done.... :pat:

Seemed to me that my EH shifted much easier loaded than empty. Running empty it always felt like by the time I got it into the next gear it had lost enough speed that I almost needed to downshift again. In the :mack1: 's defense,it did have some brake issues,the right rear brake dragged and took occasional fits of stopping the truck,requiring jumping out and bleeding the pressure off the wheel cylinder to get it moving again. The dragging brake probably didn't help much. I intended to do the brakes on it but never could scratch up the needed $$,between jobs I needed it for.

Speed

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>