06 CHN613 E 7 427 NO Power Whining Turbo

Mark Sawyer

Folks We need some Help and Ideas, We have an 06 CHN613 E 7 427 that has cost us a fortune, we have had it in 2 different dealer locations, first one found the power issue while replacing the Transmission and rearend, suggested that it was the Turbo VGT, and some EGR pipes leaking.. Replaced all the EGR tubing, and EGR cooler as well as the Actuator on the Turbo..

Still a lack of Power and major noise from the turbo, when under a load in all gears it whines, as if it is getting no air to it.

Dealer number two Charge air cooler bad, Replace it as well as all the pipes to and from it, all new...

Come on here read about checking the gaskets and studs on the exhaust and turbo as well..

All new Gaskets and Studs installed.. and another New EGR.. Took the time to spray starting fluid around the exhaust and turbo areas.. No more engine idle up when checking for leaks, and now some 12k later I am wondering what else it could possibly be.. Love my Mack trucks just flustered with all the suggested problems and fixes and the replacement of parts... The turbo was checked and I myself have felt the vanes, and checked the movement of the turbo, seems to be solid and tight, no broken vanes, and no fluids or metal in the turbo..

Suggestions Please any and all advice Greatly appreciated....

Mark

What is your boost pressure? Turbo was checked? how?

When they replaced the studs and gaskets, how do u know that a piece of the gasket didnt fall into the exhaust ports and restrict?

If it were my truck i would take the turbo completely off and if someone else worked on it i would backtrack everything they did..especially if the noise is after their work...if the noise has been there since before the work...then suspect that there is a flaw in the turbo.

Is the turbo new? reman? rebuilt?

BOOST and EGR temps are what you need to focus on to determine your problem. If they are within range suspect that you have a failing bearing somewhere in the turbo that gives you that noise.

• Like 1

"As if it were getting no air"? Hood lined up with the intake hole, anything blocking the intakes on either side or in the middle under the hood? Correct filter, installed right? What does your filter gauge read running? Take it out leave the end cover off and run it, see what happens. Maybe something real simple.

• Like 1

I have had some that after replacing the turbo actuator on the turbo make a skill saw sound, and it is because the actuator was bottoming out the turbo vanes in the housing and just needed to readjust end stops. Don't see a manifold gasket or turbo mount gasket being a issue , that would be a massive leak, soot everywhere. If the turbo center bearing was going down the turbo intake or exhaust impeller would be destroyed so that's out. My money would be on the actuator out of adjustment being you just had it replaced. Good luck.

• Like 1

Check the turbo relief valve. Look at the exhaust pipe behind the turbo and you will see a small pipe about 1" that goes back up to the intake manifold pipe, there is a short rubber hose with 2 clamps on it. Remove the valve I think it takes a 1 1/16 wrench. I just put a pipe plug in it and by pass it and test drive the truck and see if it does better and the noise goes away. I have heard them make funny noise and loose a lot of turbo pressure there when they are bad.

• Like 1

Turbo is A Reman, And it sounds like someone Rubbing a cats bottom with a Wire brush screaming cat best description.. I will check the actuator adjustment, As I am pulling the whole system down tomorrow, everything that has been put on at shops is coming back so that I can visually verfiy that things are what they are supposed to be..

As for the airfilter it is new and inserted correctly, I am going to check the air intake inlets again..

Thanks for all the answers will advise of my findings tomorrow night... Thanks again

Everybody keeps talking about the exhaust side and intake pipes and hoses. Have you looked at the actual intake manifold itself? Last time we had a whine like that it was 3 broken intake manifold bolts on the bottom side. To make it hard to find, the bolts were broke, but the bolt heads were still in the holes so it was hard to see anything out of the ordinary until you shined a flashlight on the bottom side of intake and could see were the gasket was slightly pushed out.

OK went down to Dealer One A Mack Dealer this afternoon had a long talk with the GM and Service Manager, I went through some bills and things were not adding up, I had the truck with me when I went, I pointed out a few things that We were charged for that have obviously not been looked at or repaired as we were billed for it seems that after some major adjusting to the bills they owe our company a little over 5 grand, I got charger for a EGR valve that was not replaced, Gaskets, and many other things. I did ask them to show me the Boost, and pressures, they said they did not have an open bay nor a availble tech.. Needless to say We will be travelling to a dealer in the North next time.. At Service center number two the conversation was short and they also are going to be writing a check not a substantible an amount but non the less they will be paying back some...

Ok Took the 1 1\8 line off the exhaust plugged it and problem got somewhat better. I have the Pressure sensor to replace it and reinstall it in the morning.. All the Exhaust studs except one are broken Will continue to work to get them all out in the morning, As described in one of the replies several had their heads on them but when we wrenched down the heads just fell off, really easy removal of an exhaust manifold.. Now to just get all the studs out and new ones put in..

The EGR Cooler is relatively new 3 months old unfortunatley they did not replace some of the broken, or non working parts, sensors etc.. they will all be new by Monday.. Expensive but I think in the end it will be worth it...

The VGT actuator was also found to be non working. replaced it with the new prior to tearing the exhaust side down and WHAM what a miracle the combination of many things made this truck run like crap.. But now I have a ton of power and since we have all the parts paid for we are dead set on fixing what is wrong....

In the process of getting back the Mack we bought we have found several minor things but DOT reportable that all need to be fixed in the process, Oil Pan leaking Air leaks at the firewall simple stuff but when we get this done we will essentially have a very good truck in good working order that is DOT legal and BullDog Approved..

I really appreciate all the responses and I thank all of you for your advice and input..