quad axle dump

Ok so I guess I might need to get back to truckin and say adios to the railroad. So anyway I'm looking for a nice quad axle dump truck, round an 18' aluminum bed anything from an R up to a Granite will be considered. I'm also looking for insight from others on quads, we have run triaxles here since I've been alive but they are starting to look at weights. Any info or possible trucks for sale appreciated, thanks in advance.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Why do you want the aggravation? Is the railroad that bad? money,time off,insurance (for the time being) Not having to deal with crap when it breaks and you get to pay for it? Don't know anything about quads just tri's. What about a twin steer with lift axle? or just the twin steer.

Quads are pretty popular in AR nowadays. You can gross 73,280 versus 62,000 on a tri. I ran a quad CL with two steerable axles, an 18' aluminum R and S box, and an 8LL. I really liked it. I'm not too big on the aluminum bed because I do alot of demo work and it'd last about as long as a snowball in hell. I'll keep my eye out for one, though. What do they let you carry on a quad in TN? I thought we were allowed to scale out at 74,000 with triaxles when I was working around Memphrica. There's nothin like working for yourself! I never could get ahead working for "da mane," as they say.

Jake

TN is 74,000 on tri and 80,000 on 5 axles but the fed bridge is the key, they arent letting guys get on highway jobs with more than 51000 or so since most 16' bed triaxles are only legal for 51000-51500, with a quad granitre with an 18' bed Id be legal for 61500, pretty big increase, not to mention the 80k on state roads thats 3 tons more per load. The railroad is just getting pretty screwed up to me, I have a new manager and I havent been able to actually work my bid in 5-8's shift since he started its been more like 5-12's and I dont get paid for that. I also had a bid in job for Nashville and I have been going to Memphis, Bowling Green, Cowan, Gallatin and more and while that may not sound that bad and I wouldnt have complained in the past, I bid in the job I have to work the 5-8's and the Nashville Terminal, not the whole division and work 12-14 hours a day. Im not really a corporate team player either I guess, I dont like the he said she said that goes on and having to listen to all the bs.

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Why do you want the aggravation? Is the railroad that bad? money,time off,insurance (for the time being) Not having to deal with crap when it breaks and you get to pay for it? Don't know anything about quads just tri's. What about a twin steer with lift axle? or just the twin steer.

Oh and I do deal with stuff when it breaks thats actually what I do, and I cant even make them remove the operator or even say anything to them now, so they just do tha same thing in another week or two and I go back and do it again, pretty frustrating. I dont want the dual steer, that adds weight and more wear parts and that defeats the purpose of more axles and a lighter truck to me, Im looking to be able to haul more payload than the other guy which means I need to have 5 axles with about a 22 or 23' bridge and be lighter than a triaxle.

I think those CL quads weighed 25,000 with twin steer lift axles. My RD tri weighs 31,000. Heck, that would be a 27.5 ton payload for you TN boys. I don't think the single tire steer axles weigh much, basically just a truck front axle with kingpins. I run a dual tire rigid axle on mine, but I've heard of some of AR's highway patrol catching guys like me going around corners with the pusher up and handing out weight tickets as if you were a tandem. That's why most people over here run steers. I've seen several with a rigid dual axle in front of the drives, and a single wheel steer in front. I don't really see the point in that setup, myself. Hey I know alot of people would probably take offense to this, but that big bad blue superdog would look pretty wicked rigged out as a quad dump. I doubt you'd want to go butchering on your baby, though. Lol

Jake

I think those CL quads weighed 25,000 with twin steer lift axles. My RD tri weighs 31,000. Heck, that would be a 27.5 ton payload for you TN boys. I don't think the single tire steer axles weigh much, basically just a truck front axle with kingpins. I run a dual tire rigid axle on mine, but I've heard of some of AR's highway patrol catching guys like me going around corners with the pusher up and handing out weight tickets as if you were a tandem. That's why most people over here run steers. I've seen several with a rigid dual axle in front of the drives, and a single wheel steer in front. I don't really see the point in that setup, myself. Hey I know alot of people would probably take offense to this, but that big bad blue superdog would look pretty wicked rigged out as a quad dump. I doubt you'd want to go butchering on your baby, though. Lol

yeah, my last triaxle Granite had a 16' hardox body and weighed in at 26300, and I have already pondered the Superdog Quad idea, its already double frame and 44k rears on camelback.

• Like 1

Oh and I do deal with stuff when it breaks thats actually what I do, and I cant even make them remove the operator or even say anything to them now, so they just do tha same thing in another week or two and I go back and do it again, pretty frustrating. I dont want the dual steer, that adds weight and more wear parts and that defeats the purpose of more axles and a lighter truck to me, Im looking to be able to haul more payload than the other guy which means I need to have 5 axles with about a 22 or 23' bridge and be lighter than a triaxle.

It came out wrong. I know you turn wrenches but you are paid for it. As an O/O things break I hope I can fix it and then it is just not getting paid for it. Or off time is running the truck to the shop,Running the trailer somewhere to do small things before they turn big if anything. I guess problem with an older truck that has over 1 million on the clock esp dragging a heavy wagon all the time is it just takes it's toll. Get home if nothing major it goes to one shop for little stuff. Mainly brakes, and stuff that can be done over the weekend. Major goes somewhere else. just never seem to have money left. Been doing more on the road when I can. Tires,service,Some mechanical. Also I'm not partail to dump trucks. In S. Fl it gets you nowhere. I swear get money in the bank and things are looking good and I swear this thing knows it and says guess what your spending it on ME!!!! ugh

I guess I am just alittle burnt out, And not really getting ahead is wearing on me. I got aline on work with a big trailer. The truck is just big enough to drag them, But can't get the trailer. I love what I do but think I need a vaca and not just sittign at home

looking at Truckpaper again and I ran across this one, this cant be right, can it? someone has 5 never used 96 RD's, hard to believe.

http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=4338347

I guess I am just alittle burnt out, And not really getting ahead is wearing on me. I got aline on work with a big trailer. The truck is just big enough to drag them, But can't get the trailer. I love what I do but think I need a vaca and not just sittign at home

I understand,both posts actually, Ive already done the owner op thing both with road tractors and dump trucks, I know it can be a pain but I was a whole lot happier trucking than I am now. I am looking at it like this, I cant see myself doing this job another 27 years and thats what it will take for me to earn my retirement, its gonna suck to loose the benefits but Ill be in a lot better frame of mind (I think). I only got out of trucking because of the timing really, I decided I had to have my 84 Superliner in 2006 when it was getting pretty tough out there, then I had a heck of a time working both trucks when the housing market tanked, so I sold one, then another until I was out. I had a way out, a lot of folks didnt and Im glad it worked for me I sold the trucks I had, paid off my debts bought a pickup truck and put several thousand dollars in the bank, pretty good outcome for trucking in late 2007 early 2008. I had always wanted a job at the Railroad for the benefits not the money and I actually applied for several different jobs, all the guys I talked to about it were happy but I was asking back in 2005-2007 now those same guys are sick of it and hate their jobs like me. I guess its the way things have changed in corporate america that I hate, it seems to me like the lawyers actually run CSX not the officials, I mean I have to wear safety glasses in a vehicle if the window is down because somebody got a bug in their eye, I had to get rid of my bungee cords because someone let one smack him in the face, it just goes on and on and it has changed for the worse in my short 3 year railroad career. I hope Im right about my idea to go back to dump trucking, if not Im gonna be miserable for a while cause if I buy one now I dont have enough cash after buying my house and working here to pay much down so ill have to pay it down for a while or take a loss and Im not really into that. I guess I could go back overseas and work for the DOD again, it paid awful good(I wonder if they have new body armor yet) I got some hand me downs when I was there. Hell Sleepy I even thought of doing heavy haul the Superliner has a doub le frame and 44 rears, and now that I stretched it I got all kinds of room for a tag axle.

I understand,both posts actually, Ive already done the owner op thing both with road tractors and dump trucks, I know it can be a pain but I was a whole lot happier trucking than I am now. I am looking at it like this, I cant see myself doing this job another 27 years and thats what it will take for me to earn my retirement, its gonna suck to loose the benefits but Ill be in a lot better frame of mind (I think). I only got out of trucking because of the timing really, I decided I had to have my 84 Superliner in 2006 when it was getting pretty tough out there, then I had a heck of a time working both trucks when the housing market tanked, so I sold one, then another until I was out. I had a way out, a lot of folks didnt and Im glad it worked for me I sold the trucks I had, paid off my debts bought a pickup truck and put several thousand dollars in the bank, pretty good outcome for trucking in late 2007 early 2008. I had always wanted a job at the Railroad for the benefits not the money and I actually applied for several different jobs, all the guys I talked to about it were happy but I was asking back in 2005-2007 now those same guys are sick of it and hate their jobs like me. I guess its the way things have changed in corporate america that I hate, it seems to me like the lawyers actually run CSX not the officials, I mean I have to wear safety glasses in a vehicle if the window is down because somebody got a bug in their eye, I had to get rid of my bungee cords because someone let one smack him in the face, it just goes on and on and it has changed for the worse in my short 3 year railroad career. I hope Im right about my idea to go back to dump trucking, if not Im gonna be miserable for a while cause if I buy one now I dont have enough cash after buying my house and working here to pay much down so ill have to pay it down for a while or take a loss and Im not really into that. I guess I could go back overseas and work for the DOD again, it paid awful good(I wonder if they have new body armor yet) I got some hand me downs when I was there. Hell Sleepy I even thought of doing heavy haul the Superliner has a doub le frame and 44 rears, and now that I stretched it I got all kinds of room for a tag axle.

I might almost go that route. run stuff out of Komatsu or roadtec? But hell just running local and being home with half the headaches with all the new rules in OTR. It has definetly and isn't as fun now as it was back 15 or so years ago.

looking at Truckpaper again and I ran across this one, this cant be right, can it? someone has 5 never used 96 RD's, hard to believe.

http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=4338347

Yeah, those got mentioned in the Chicago thread a few months back. I figured they'd be long gone by now. If I didn't have that newly acquired trackhoe note, I'd be very tempted to have a sit down with the banker about one of those. I bet you'd have to front 18 new tires right out of the gate, though.

Jake

I can't believe somebody bought 5 new trucks and never used em in 18 years. They would be a serious addition to a mack guys garage, I mean come on you could actually say " yep, I have a 96 RD with 200 actual miles".

• Like 1

I know where you could get an '02 CH613 with 160K miles...but it also has just as many hours on the engine as my '01 with 804K miles. It was basically a yard truck...ran constantly without ever really going anywhere. Since it was mentioned that those R's were "kept started", I wonder how many hours are on their engines? Of course being older, mechanical engines you may never know...a new hour meter and they can say whatever they like. Hell, a complete refurbish/restoration complete with a new odometer and they can say it's never been run. No computers to tell you otherwise, and for their asking price, they wouldn't be losing money on the deal. You just aren't likely to find a bank willing to loan that much money for a truck that old.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Anybody know anything about Destiny Delivery service out of Ashland KY? Im looking pretty seriously at some of their trucks.

http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=4463237

Heres on in IN I am pondering too, both are within a couple hundred pounds on light weight so no big change there, same engine, trans etc.

http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=4180503

Hai was thinkin the other one needed to go to 385's, I had the 425's on my last Granite they're aight but 385's are lighter and cheaper and I'm going for light weight more than anything.

Hai was thinkin the other one needed to go to 385's, I had the 425's on my last Granite they're aight but 385's are lighter and cheaper and I'm going for light weight more than anything.

Yea but you get more of a weight rating with the 425's if that pertains to what you are doing.

• Like 1

Is that asking price for the rossi trucks for just the tractor? Its pictured with a trailer but it dont mention a trailer but it dont say it doesnt either. Hmmmmmm

I called about them a couple of months ago, and that's supposed to be truck and trailer. I don't think they want to seperate them.

Jake