Budd wheels inboard drums

Superdog

I just bought a junk '89 Hawkeye Eagle grain trailer for the budd wheel axles to put under a '72 Transcraft flatbed that's been in the family since new. I've wanted to put alum. budds on it just to dress it up a little,plus bring the brakes up to date a little,as it still has the old style shoes. Also it has one wheel that I've fought to keep seals in. Anyway,I was really surprised to see when I got the rear wheels off (had to chain rear axle up to drag it home,not much left holding it in) that it had inboard drums. I figured by this late everything had outboard drums. Not that big a deal,since the brakes will last me forever no more than it gets used, but just kinda wonder if anyone else has run across these in the later equipment.

Mike, one of our lease trailers- a 88 Walker tank has the same set up. Fruhauf propar axles with the inboard drums, first one I have seen. I was surprised too. We needed drums and a few wheel studs and got everything without any trouble. Not a bad set up, just hate to have to strip everything down to do a break job.

Seen it in 1986 with a Hendrickson lift axle installed at Cobra body company

The new RW had outboard and the axle they installed was inboard...........no one was happy at first brake job

gallery_133_137_10125.jpg

Thanks for hearing me out.

You can have the soap box now---------JIM

an inboard drum is mounted to the backside of the hub,so like on spoke hubs,you have to remove the complete hub/drum assembly to replace the brake shoes.Outboard drums slide over the inner wheels studs on the outside of the hub,take the tires off,remove drum and you can replace the brake shoes without removing the hub.

an inboard drum is mounted to the backside of the hub,so like on spoke hubs,you have to remove the complete hub/drum assembly to replace the brake shoes.Outboard drums slide over the inner wheels studs on the outside of the hub,take the tires off,remove drum and you can replace the brake shoes without removing the hub.

Okay, I understand. Thanks for the explanation. I am used to seeing an outboard drum and makes sense with Budd wheels (or wheels like on a pickup or car). My spoked MH has inboard drums, correct? I will have to look at my GD trailer but it "should" have outboard drums (hub piloted wheels).

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"