overfueling?

pmolitor

how did you check the pyro?

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Unless you found a way to get that thermometer to measure the gas in the middle of your downpipe that doest really work. The pyro thermocouple is long enough to read the temp of the exhaust gas in the center of the exhaust stream and under a load it will run anywhere from 100-300 hotter than surface temp of the pipe so a 200degree difference means its about right.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Got the truck back from Mack today. Runs great. The bypass valve in the tip turbine had a massive failure! It was only found after completely disassembling the tip turbine. Also low on fuel pressure. At some time before I owned the truck, someone added a hose from the top of the fuel filter housing to the return line. No one knows why. They also figured my pyro gauge is between 100 and 200 degrees hotter than actual.

Glad you got it fixed, I never would have come up with that without tearing into the truck, I don't know enough about how the tip turbines operate, I'm glad there are still some real Mack mechanics out there.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Over fueling will blow black smoke, running lean is the opposite and will blow white smoke, although not a lot, it leaves more of a white residue in the mufflers. White smoke is more likely oil to be frank. Possibly coolant, but more likely oil blowing past turbo seals. To fix your over-fueling you need to get it tuned. Any zed with a stock tune and boost past 12psi will over-fuel. It's designed to run overly rich to cool the cylinder temps.

Over fueling will blow black smoke, running lean is the opposite and will blow white smoke, although not a lot, it leaves more of a white residue in the mufflers. White smoke is more likely oil to be frank. Possibly coolant, but more likely oil blowing past turbo seals. To fix your over-fueling you need to get it tuned. Any zed with a stock tune and boost past 12psi will over-fuel. It's designed to run overly rich to cool the cylinder temps.

Burning oil creates BLUE smoke. Unburned fuel is white. Coolant can also be whitish.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"