Mack All Wheel Drive And Pto

Ok I was just reading an old Mack construction brochure from 1990 and it really bought a tear to my eye but it also peaked my curiosity. My questions are:

When and why did mack stop offering AWD trucks?

Did Mack also make their own front drive axle or was it 3rd party? Did it use bevel gears or U-joints for power transfer?

Also I never knew they made a rear PTO that bolted between the engine and tranny. Its called a "self contained, gear driven flywheel PTO". Anyone ever see one? Sounds pretty cool.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Ok I was just reading an old Mack construction brochure from 1990 and it really bought a tear to my eye but it also peaked my curiosity. My questions are:

When and why did mack stop offering AWD trucks?

Did Mack also make their own front drive axle or was it 3rd party? Did it use bevel gears or U-joints for power transfer?

Also I never knew they made a rear PTO that bolted between the engine and tranny. Its called a "self contained, gear driven flywheel PTO". Anyone ever see one? Sounds pretty cool.

I saw a pto like that back in the 60s that had a adapter between the flywheel and crank and it had a flat cog belt around it and it cam out of the side of the adater to a pulley on the out side that whent to a cement mixer.

glenn akers

Gee you get up early!

LOL I actually got back from work. Sometimes I just cant fall asleep after running around like a chicken with my head cut off :lol:

Shame Mack isnt what it used to be but I guess all wheel drive trucks just didnt sell enough.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

You can get the Granite in all wheel drive. I believe the RM was available in all wheel drive until it was replaced by the Granite. My RM 4x4 is a 1980 with 21k miles on it.

There are a lot of the flywheel pto's in use today. If you see a Mack concrete truck without the front bumper extended for the pump, it probably has a flywheel pto. Unlike a transmission mounted pto, you have a live pto with the clutch depressed. Look for the little drive shaft along the passenger side of the transmission.

ThaddeusW,

I set trucks up for farmers.... They are all used to to live pto's on their tractors, I try and source trucks for them with either crankshaft (out the front) or REPTO (Rear Engine Power Take Off), former cement mixers are the most commonly found with a (REPTO),

Macks are the easiest to find, however. I just finished setting up a 1990 Peterbilt with a REPTO drive. (cummins L-10 285 hp, 7ll trans).

I'll post some pictures as soon as i get my camera back home.

In the early 80's Mack stopped making its own front driving axles. Since then they have used Fabco axles. The DMM was offered until about 2001 or so. Then the Granite was phased in. The Granite can be ordered with all wheel drive, but it is a part time system. Also, Macks can be ordered with the Marmon Herrington package. The MH and Fabco packages are very good, so much so that other makes have stopped making a factory AWD package

• 13 years later...

I have a REPTO on My 2000 Mack tractor. I’m not using it and I’m wondering if it can be removed from the bell housing? It looks like it has an oil line running from the oil filter housing to it, and with the weak Jake brake, I would prefer not to send any extra oil to it if I don’t have to. Any one have any experience with one?